I think I cursed myself picking my username! My Clutch Won't Disengage!

• clutch
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • I wish I had a tad more patience to do it better!
More
28 Jul 2008 19:54 #228806 by clutch
So I hopped on the bike when I got home from work and was going to ride to the bar around the corner for a quick beer (Only one I promise). Got it in first and started down the driveway, turned onto the road and when I went to shift to second, it wouldn't! Earlier today, I had to tighten the cable because it became VERY loose while riding....any thoughts here? I can see that the lower lever is moving when pulling the clutch lever, but it seems really loose and is obviously not disengaging!

What should I check when I try to figure it out tomorrow? Will be tearing it apart trying to fix it. Anyone else had this happen?

Thanks,

Clutch

Southern Maryland, USA

1980 KZ250 LTD (traded, but still missed)
1982 KZ750 E3 (Cafe Project) (Dyna-S, Dyna Coils, V&H 4-1, K&N Pods, 6 Sigma Jet Kit, Acewell Computer, Woodcraft Clip-ons, Custom Rewire)
1966 A1 Samurai (Restoration Project)

Wish List:
KZ1000 P (For a "touring" bike)
Z1 (need I...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Jul 2008 20:39 #228811 by Bluemeanie
Yea automatic...whoops, I mean clutch!:woohoo: Anyway, my bike WAS shifting but it was really clunky and my freeplay would suddenly get real loose or would tighten up. Come to find out, my clutch cable was unraveling at the clutch lever, also found pieces of wire sticking out of my cable halfway down. When I removed the cable it was so bound up I could barely move the inner cable inor out. Check yours carefully... ;)

1980 KZ650F1, Bought new out the door for $2,162.98!

• clutch
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
28 Jul 2008 20:42 #228812 by clutch
Well, pulling the clutch lever does move the clutch release lever, it just seems REALLY easy to do, like it's got no resistance from the clutch springs or something. It's definitely not moving the clutch, so I guess I should just do a tear-down and rebuild to hopefully come across whatever the issue is.

In any case, if it needs a new clutch, springs, etc., what would be the best online store to try to find it all (other than ebay if possible...)?

Southern Maryland, USA

1982 KZ750 E3 (Cafe Project) (Dyna-S, Dyna Coils, V&H 4-1, K&N Pods, 6 Sigma Jet Kit, Acewell Computer, Woodcraft Clip-ons, Custom Rewire)

Wish List:
Z1 (need I...

More
28 Jul 2008 20:46 #228814 by The Milkman
Is there any possible chance that the last time you adjusted the clutch the end that goes into the side cover was hanging up on the cover itself and it finally slipped in and changed you adjustment giving it too much slack?? It HAS happened before,,, :blush: :blush: :blush:

78 650-C2, Stock engine, Jardine 4-2 Exh., 17-38 sprockets, dyna ignition and coils, coil wiring mod, carb mod.
The following user(s) said Thank You: GPz550D1

• clutch
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
28 Jul 2008 20:58 #228820 by clutch
I have only had the bike for about a week and a half. Was working fine until today, so it's possible that whomever adjusted it last may have done that. I've been looking at the repair manual to familiarize myself with the workings and what I should check when I take a look at it tomorrow during the day (better light than trying to work on it in the garage tonight).

Southern Maryland, USA

Wish List:
Z1 (need I...

• clutch
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
28 Jul 2008 22:45 #228842 by clutch
Actually, after studying the repair manual and looking at the bike again, it looks like the clutch release lever is the problem. It appears to be loose and possibly has come disconnected from the workings it should be connected to inside the engine compartment. I will be starting there tomorrow before messing with the clutch side....

Will post my findings tomorrow

~Clutch

Southern Maryland, USA

Wish List:
Z1 (need I...

More
29 Jul 2008 02:14 #228852 by Patton
clutch wrote:

... Got it in first and started down the driveway, turned onto the road and when I went to shift to second, it wouldn't!....

Tranny gears should shift up and down, even without a clutch cable. :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

• clutch
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
29 Jul 2008 08:12 #228878 by clutch
I just didn't shift it when I realized the clutch wasn't going in. I easily shifted into neutral when I got back in the driveway. It's not the tranny, pretty sure it's that release lever or something connected to it.

Southern Maryland, USA

Wish List:
Z1 (need I...

• clutch
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
29 Jul 2008 08:59 #228887 by clutch
I was right. The clutch release lever became unaligned somehow. All fixed and rideable again! YAY ME! :-D

Southern Maryland, USA

Wish List:
Z1 (need I...

• clutch
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
29 Jul 2008 09:28 #228891 by clutch
Ok, went for a test drive and it did it again...had to drive back to the house (about 3 miles) without a clutch! Good thing I didn't have to stop!!!! But this time, the release rack has noticeably dropped down from the correct position. I think the guide bolt is loose. Once it cools down a bit I will pull the sprocket cover back off, put everything back in position and make sure the guide bolt is tight (looks kinda tricky to get at from the pics in the repair manual).

Southern Maryland, USA

Wish List:
Z1 (need I...

• clutch
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
29 Jul 2008 11:08 #228917 by clutch
Yes! I successfully tightened the bolt and went for a nice ride. I think I will be pulling off the sprocket cover whenever I lube the chain and checking that guide bolt to ensure it's not coming loose on me again.

Southern Maryland, USA

Wish List:
Z1 (need I...

More
29 Jul 2008 11:26 #228921 by MFolks
Next time you are in there, lubricate all the moving parts of the clutch mechanism with some high temperature grease. Just a small dab on pivot joints is all that's needed.

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)