Titanium plugs

More
26 Jul 2008 01:24 #228395 by Ozzyzed
Titanium plugs was created by Ozzyzed
Had a look through the archives but no luck. Does anyone use titanium spark plugs. Ive heard they last a heck of a lot longer etc. Just appears that my bike is going through alot of plugs with no real reason why.
Cheers Oz:silly:

Melbourne Australia
1977 z1000A1
'They say people don't believe in heroes anymore. Well damn them! You and me, Max, we're gonna give them back their heroes'!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Jul 2008 04:15 - 26 Jul 2008 11:15 #228397 by bill_wilcox100
Replied by bill_wilcox100 on topic Titanium plugs
Hi Ozzyzed. Would help to know what year and model you have. :unsure:

Would also help to know what make and model number of plug you are using... and what symptoms you are eliminating/solving by changing your plugs. Be as specific as you can. :dry:

Best of success. :)

PS

Add your year, model and location to your signature for the best responses. ;)

1977 KZ650-B1 (Stock)
Upgrades:
- Dyna S Electronic Ignition (DS2-2)
- Dyna 3 Ohm Coils (DC1-1)
- Coil Repowering Mod
- Progressive Springs Front & Rear
- Saddlemen Seat Cover
- New Metallic Red Re-Paint & Repro Badges.
Montreal, Canada
Last edit: 26 Jul 2008 11:15 by bill_wilcox100.

More
26 Jul 2008 05:25 #228401 by Locozuna
Replied by Locozuna on topic Titanium plugs
What is a lot of plugs? If there is a problem it would pay you to fix it instead of buying some exotic plug besides if something is wrong ya never know what else is being effected. Like was said... what are the symptoms?

Dr. Howard, Dr. Fine, Dr. Howard!!! Paging! Dr. Howard, Dr. Fine, Dr. Howard!!!

KZ900LTD, KZ750LTD, KZ650, 72'Triumph Trident
"Over the Mountains
Of the Moon,
Down the Valley of the Shadow,
Ride, boldly ride,"
The shade replied
"If you seek for Eldorado!"

More
27 Jul 2008 15:45 #228573 by APE Jay
Replied by APE Jay on topic Titanium plugs
Do you mean platium?

More
27 Jul 2008 16:35 #228578 by Locozuna
Or the newest and rarest of plugs (DIFIOB) Di-Ifecult Obtanium. :blink:
Besides... Titanium is for spinnerbaits!;)

Sorry...really how are your plugs buggering up? Sooty deposits? Burned off electrode? No spark? How fast are you going thru them? Are you cleaning them and re-using them? It would be best to get her running right.

"Over the Mountains
Of the Moon,
Ride, boldly ride,"
The shade replied

• KZQ
  • Administrator
  • Walking Behind the Corn May Not Be All That!
More
27 Jul 2008 17:33 - 27 Jul 2008 17:36 #228587 by KZQ
Replied by KZQ on topic Titanium plugs
Hi Ozzyzed,

More and more the automotive industry is being invaded by enjuneers who couldn't quite get into their nation's space programs. As a result they've dialed back their expectations a bit and accepted positions within the auto industry. This is not to say they've given up on space, to that end, they continue to produce land vehicles that require whole teams of enjuneers and maybe one technician, to actually turn the wrenches. Their secret hope is that their efforts at minisculeization and layering will be noticed by their nation's respective space managers who may just be impressed enough to lift them out of their mundane assignments and rescue them with a design assignment befitting a mission to Alpha Centauri.

Because maintenance projects that used to take a mere fifteen minutes, now regularly consume three or four hours these same enjuneers have designed spark plugs that damn near last as long as the engines they're a part of.

Hence we now get to spend $7 or $8 on a double platinum spark plug, mostly because replacing them is nearly as complicated and a valve job used to be.

My point is that unless you plan on replacing your plugs only every 150 K miles you won't be needing anything more than the stock plugs.

KZCSI

www.KZ1300.com
Riders:
1968 BSA 441 Shooting Star, 1970 BSA 650 Lightning, 1974 W3, 1976 KZ900, 1979 KZ750 Twin, 1979 KZ750 Twin Trike, 1981 KZ1300, 1982 KZ1100 Spectre, 2000 Valkyrie, 2009 Yamaha Roadliner S. 1983 GL 1100
Projects:
1985 ZN1300
Last edit: 27 Jul 2008 17:36 by KZQ.

More
27 Jul 2008 18:29 #228592 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic Titanium plugs
The hot setup for plugs now is Iridium plugs. They came on my car, service interval was supposed to be 100,000 miles. They lasted 30k miles.

1979 KZ-750 Twin

More
27 Jul 2008 18:37 #228595 by steell
Replied by steell on topic Titanium plugs
bountyhunter wrote:

The hot setup for plugs now is Iridium plugs. They came on my car, service interval was supposed to be 100,000 miles. They lasted 30k miles.

GPzInfested recently put a set of Iridium plugs in his GPz750 Turbo, they are supposed to be the best plugs for the bike. We'll see how long they last, but at $40+ for a set of four it better be an awful long time :woohoo:

KD9JUR

More
27 Jul 2008 19:21 #228600 by Locozuna
I thought Iridium was the stuff of Asteroids. I thought they date the strike of the big asteroid in the Caribbean because of the layer of Iridium's position in soil samples around the world. I know ...thats a lot of "I thoughts". But no putty tats! Any geologists on board?

"Over the Mountains
Of the Moon,
Ride, boldly ride,"
The shade replied

More
27 Jul 2008 19:34 - 27 Jul 2008 19:43 #228603 by Virii
Replied by Virii on topic Titanium plugs
Sounds familiar but I'm not a geologist. :P

Until recently I had been running iridium NGK's in my 650. I only paid $20 for my set, though, through rockauto. I can't recall how long they've been in there and I can't find my posts around that time but but well over a year I'd imagine.

Still, at that price, I don't want to take unnecessary risks. I pulled them last week when it became clear I was going to be in for some carb work. I'd rather be dead on and foul some B7ES plugs as cleaning iridium's is pretty much out of the question.

As you'd expect, I can't say that the bike really ran any better other than it didn't seem to bog as much when I turned the headlights on. They did look beautiful when I pulled them, though. :laugh:

Tess: 1977 KZ650-C1. VM24, 97.5/15/3rd. Dyna-S. Stock exhaust, coil mod performed, BR7EIX.

Angel: 1982 GPz550. Stock. DR8EIX.
Last edit: 27 Jul 2008 19:43 by Virii.

More
28 Jul 2008 00:05 #228636 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic Titanium plugs
Locozuna wrote:

I thought Iridium was the stuff of Asteroids. I thought they date the strike of the big asteroid in the Caribbean because of the layer of Iridium's position in soil samples around the world. I know ...thats a lot of "I thoughts". But no putty tats! Any geologists on board?

It's kryptonite for dinosaurs:

Iridium (pronounced /ɪˈrɪdiəm/) is a chemical element that has the symbol Ir and atomic number 77. A dense, very hard, brittle, silvery-white transition metal of the platinum family, iridium is used in high-strength alloys that can withstand high temperatures and occurs in natural alloys with platinum or osmium. Iridium is notable for being the most corrosion-resistant metal known and for its significance in the determination of the probable cause of the extinction, by an asteroid impact, of the dinosaurs. It is used in high-temperature apparatuses, electrical contacts, and as a hardening agent for platinum.

1979 KZ-750 Twin

More
28 Jul 2008 05:09 - 28 Jul 2008 05:12 #228645 by Locozuna
Intriqued! Why is cleaning Iridiums out of the question?

He said pointing his Illudium P32 Space Modulator at earth and anticipating a BIG KABOOOOM!! B)

I was once given a set of Splitfires for my Nighthawk S and noticed no difference in performance, gas milage or longevity. Promises...promises...

"Over the Mountains
Of the Moon,
Ride, boldly ride,"
The shade replied
Last edit: 28 Jul 2008 05:12 by Locozuna.