Slow idle screw?

More
22 Jul 2008 21:41 #227782 by Britcheflee
Slow idle screw? was created by Britcheflee
I have what I think is described as a 'smooth bore' set of Mikuni carbs on my KZ650B - on the top of each carb is a small screw adjuster which I think is described as the slow idle screw? What is the correct amount of turns out from gentle seating on these? Is it 1.5 - 2? I read somewhere that to get these adjusted right you set the rpm a little high then adjust them until rpms are highest then back the throttle adjuster down to the idle you require - sound right?

Finally, on an older bike like this, would it be better for me to set the idle a little higher?

Lee

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• bubbap
  • User
  • Ride it like you stole it!
More
23 Jul 2008 11:26 #227859 by bubbap
Replied by bubbap on topic Slow idle screw?
What year is your KZ?
I have a 79' KZ 650 B3, my manual says its suppose to be 1 5/8 turns from seated. To adjust idle you should only use the idle screw on the top middle of the carb assembly. It also says that the air idle screws should not need to be adjusted to correct any engine running problems. Once you have the air idle screws set you should do a vacuum test on all four carbs to make sure they are all the same. To make them the same use the air idle screws to set the vacuum.

1979 KZ650, Mac 4-2 exhaust. Restored after 25 years of sitting. Dyna elec coils, ignition. As old as I am, been in the family since new.

More
24 Jul 2008 04:04 #228008 by Z1109R Fin
Replied by Z1109R Fin on topic Slow idle screw?
bubbap wrote:

Once you have the air idle screws set you should do a vacuum test on all four carbs to make sure they are all the same. To make them the same use the air idle screws to set the vacuum.

Are you referring to carb synchronizing/balancing? Balancing carbs is done by adjusting throttle valves inside carb venturi not by adjusting air screw (which adjust the idle mixture i.e. air/fuel -ratio).

Balancing is usually done by connecting some kind of a vacuum gauge / manometer to each intake throat and balancing the vacuum in all carbs to same level by adjusting throttle valve opening in all carbs.

Z1000R ´83...Slightly modified...