do i need to check compression?

More
22 Jul 2008 22:45 #227797 by clutch85
do i need to check compression? was created by clutch85
hello, my name is brandon and i have a 78 kz1000. I bought it from a dealership last summer and was beginning to buy some new parts for it like handlebars, mirrors, and cosmetic stuff like that. The bike runs great but i have never checked the compression. Before i spend more money on it i was curious if a bike can run well at all with low compresion. Should i check it or just not worry about it considering how well it runs

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Jul 2008 04:08 #227807 by steell
Replied by steell on topic do i need to check compression?

Should i check it or just not worry about it considering how well it runs

Unless you have the maintenance history of the bike, and it shows a recent tuneup (including a valve adjustment), I'd do a complete tuneup, complete meaning check compression and check/adjust valves.

When you say "considering how well it runs", what are you using for comparison? To someone that has only ridden a 350 Honda, a KZ1000 with only 100 psi compression would seem really fast, while to someone accustomed to a Busa, a KZ1000 with 160 psi of compression and perfect tune would seem really slow.

Spending a day doing a complete tuneup, checking all the bolts to make sure they're tight, and checking everything else on the bike would be a good idea on any used bike.

Beats being stranded or an ambulance ride :)

KD9JUR

More
23 Jul 2008 05:42 - 04 Dec 2008 07:17 #227818 by JMKZHI
Replied by JMKZHI on topic .
del
Last edit: 04 Dec 2008 07:17 by JMKZHI.

More
23 Jul 2008 11:59 #227865 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic do i need to check compression?
I'd check the compression, check vlve clearance, torque the head bolts for starters. A good tune up and flush fuel system is always in order on a bike with unknown service history.

1979 KZ-750 Twin