KZ900: Hydraulic Clutch Conversion

More
21 Jul 2008 10:04 #227457 by Locozuna
Replied by Locozuna on topic KZ900: Hydraulic Clutch Conversion
I didn't see where anyone said HD clutches did not fail. If they did they were wrong. BUT HD actuators ARE easier for those of us with tired old hurtful hands and I do know that cables snap as having a few do that to me and others. And I am pretty faithful with lubing and inspecting them at least a couple times in our short riding season. I have also used both Maker and aftermarket cables. In fact I think Ron challenged the myth that aftermarket were inferior and did a comparison that put them both in the same ballpark not long ago. BUT I am still young at this since I bought my first only in '65 (a Lambretta 150) and I did not know that the bikes we should list were all the bikes we have ever owned I thought it was only what we have now but then again I'm not much for a dick fight.:woohoo: But I'm done now too! :kiss:

Ferngully: "Puff up! Puff up! They hate it when you do that!".

KZ900LTD, KZ750LTD, KZ650, 72'Triumph Trident
"Over the Mountains
Of the Moon,
Down the Valley of the Shadow,
Ride, boldly ride,"
The shade replied
"If you seek for Eldorado!"

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• larrycavan
  • Visitor
21 Jul 2008 12:20 #227479 by larrycavan
Replied by larrycavan on topic KZ900: Hydraulic Clutch Conversion
Hmmmmm.....Why would anyone want to lay down that amount of money for clutch setup that's not needed?

Everyone bargain shops Ebay for used motor parts and Walmart shops the engine work.....then with the savings run out and buy a hydraulic clutch setup that's not better than the one Kawasaki blessed the bike with, 30 years ago:unsure:

I must really be getting old:silly:

Anyway I can think of a lot better items to snag for the price of a hyd. clutch setup....

JMO

Larry C

More
21 Jul 2008 13:09 #227488 by mtkawboy
Replied by mtkawboy on topic KZ900: Hydraulic Clutch Conversion
I know for a fact that a Chrome Specilaties clutch cable isnt as good as a Harley one unless you like the threads plated so they wont screw in. The factory one got toasted on the Supertrapp but did not fail just too hard to pull in with my old arhritic hands. Stuff gets taken out of context on a computer, I appologize if I was out of line or pissed anyone off over this deal. This a great forum and Id like to keep it that way. I guess my point is that I personally see no need for a high dollar hydraulic clutch. If you do then have at it

78-KZ1000/1105, 80 KZ1000, 82 Kawasaki GPZ750, 95 Harley Fatboy, 80 Suzuki GS1100ET, 81 GS1100E parts bike, 83 GS1100SD Katana/1394,78 Yamaha XT500, 81 Yamaha XS650, 78 Yamaha XS650E, 48 Whizzer model J motorbike, 71 Honda CT70H, 71 Honda CT70, 81 IT 250 Yamaha,82 Honda XL100S owned

More
21 Jul 2008 13:55 #227495 by Locozuna
Replied by Locozuna on topic KZ900: Hydraulic Clutch Conversion
That is what seems to be the problem here. Everyone is talking personally. I personally appreciate the ease of a HD clutch. Arthritis runs in my family. AND if I want to be more personally I like things to be as easy as possible. Built in lazyness. Heavy duty clutch springs suck as far as I am concerned. You may enjoy the workout...good for you. At one time I paid to work out (nuts maybe). I do not have a HD clutch actuator but lordy if then got cheaper I would certainly get it done. Basically what anyone does to their machine is to make it their machine. So it does what they want and looks like they want. Some people will never see what the others see in it. want in it or for that matter NEEDS in it. What K did 30 years ago works. Could it be better.....YES. Most time it is.;)

KZ900LTD, KZ750LTD, KZ650, 72'Triumph Trident
"Over the Mountains
Of the Moon,
Down the Valley of the Shadow,
Ride, boldly ride,"
The shade replied
"If you seek for Eldorado!"

More
21 Jul 2008 18:39 - 21 Jul 2008 18:40 #227533 by steell
Replied by steell on topic KZ900: Hydraulic Clutch Conversion
mtkawboy, I'm not in any kind of competition with you or anyone else here, and the only thing I'm "expert" at, is being me, no one can do a better job of being me, than me :laugh:

I don't expect anyone to take my word as Gospel on anything I say here, so I provide links that justify what I'm saying. I have probably posted more links in my posts in the tech section of KZR than anyone else, for precisely that reason.

I may attack your arguments, but I'll "Never" attack you personally. I think it's great when someone tells me I'm wrong, that makes me do the research to buttress my position, and sometimes I find out that I am wrong. And that's great because I positively hate giving out wrong information.

This is all a learning experience :)

And now back on topic :)

Anyone that has read many of my posts here knows that there is no way in Hades that I would spend that kind of money for a hydraulic clutch. I'm a cheapskate and a do-it-yourself guy, I'll look on eBay till I find the parts I need off a newer bike for a few $$, then make them fit and do what I want.

And I'm going to adapt a hydraulic clutch to one of my 750 four motors, just because I think they're neat :P

KD9JUR
Last edit: 21 Jul 2008 18:40 by steell.

More
21 Jul 2008 21:46 #227561 by steve3408
Replied by steve3408 on topic KZ900: Hydraulic Clutch Conversion
Well i've enjoyed reading the posts for and against HD clutch on the KZ's and the breaking cables,i noticed no one brought up soldering the cables to begin with.I've owned several KZ's over the years since 1976 anyway,and after buying clutch cables about evry other season, an older bike mechanic told me to "solder the cable", he said to heat the cable,melt the solder into the strands close to the end,being careful not to get it too hot and loosen the tip that goes into the handle,solder about 3 inches of the cable.I did and it works great ! i have spares just in case, but so far i've never had a soldered cable break.The 80 KZ1000 A4 i bought new, i should have done it to begin with,but being a new bike i didnt want take it apart,it broke of course the second season,i soldered the new one and its still on the bike 26 years later. The 76 kz900 i replaced the cable on it,it lasted 11 years that i had it and was going strong when i sold it.The 79 KZ1000 MKII cable broke, replaced it and soldered it,sold it in spring 2000 hes still driving it with the same cable.
So has anyone else done this? I think the HD setup would be kinda cool,but just too much money for me to get just a little bit of difference in functionality.

1980 KZ1000 A4(bought new),1979 KZ1000 MKII(bought new),1978 KZ1000 A (sold)1979 KZ1000 B LTD (sold)1976 KZ900 LTD (sold)1978 KZ750 twin (sold)

More
22 Jul 2008 18:13 #227748 by steell
Replied by steell on topic KZ900: Hydraulic Clutch Conversion
Never heard of the solder thing before, I'll have to give it a try.

But I'm still going to convert a 750 four motor to hydraulic clutch (someday), just because I think it's cool :D :D

KD9JUR