clutch cable and assy issues

• cricketfire46
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
20 Jul 2008 07:08 #227209 by cricketfire46
clutch cable and assy issues was created by cricketfire46
The other day i noticed that my clutch was slipping in 5th gear between 70 and 80 mph. i asked a buddy of mine who works on these bikes and he told me how to adjust the tension on the left side of the bike. when i went to do this i realized it wasnt adjusting. i pulled the cover off and discovered that the adjustment screw was stripped. i figured this was an easy fix. located the part within 30 minutes at a local shop. when i replaced it i tried to put it in gear and the clutch cable snapped. another easy fix i thought i put a new end on the cable for a temp fix and ordered a new cable from z1enterprises. the problem now is that the clutch is either engaged or disengaged. with adjustment of the screw i can do this but with the lever i cant do it. if anybody has any ideas on what could be wrong let me know. i really need help here.

83 kz750 ltd, dyna coils, k&n, mac 4->1 just rolled 50k

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Jul 2008 07:41 - 20 Jul 2008 07:42 #227216 by Bluemeanie
Replied by Bluemeanie on topic clutch cable and assy issues
Glad to try and help but need to know what year, model bike we're talking about? :) You can put all this info in your signature line for everyone to see (such as mine) ;)

1980 KZ650F1, Bought new out the door for $2,162.98!
Last edit: 20 Jul 2008 07:42 by Bluemeanie.

• cricketfire46
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
20 Jul 2008 07:48 #227219 by cricketfire46
Replied by cricketfire46 on topic clutch cable and assy issues
sorry its an 83 KZ750 LTD.

• cricketfire46
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
20 Jul 2008 08:02 #227222 by cricketfire46
Replied by cricketfire46 on topic clutch cable and assy issues
when i took it apart to replace the part i may have put the clutch cable connection in the wrong way. just out of curiosity does the breakover point need to be on top or bottom? i currently have it on the bottom. that may be the problem with a simple fix. after checking some schematics i found i think this may be the problem. again if anyone has any ideas please help

More
20 Jul 2008 17:28 - 20 Jul 2008 17:32 #227327 by Bluemeanie
Replied by Bluemeanie on topic clutch cable and assy issues
Got your PM, glad to help. I went to Kawasaki.com and they show this diagram of your assembly (click to enlarge) Is your bike a 2 cyl? My setup looks different but if I understand you right it looks like the point where you connect the cable goes up. I can't help you with adjustment but if it's anything like mine you first add a bunch of slack at the cable adjuster and then loosen the locknut (at clutch cover), back out the adjusting screw and then turn in until slight resistance is felt. Back off 1/2 turn, tighten nut. At lever, loosen large locknut and back out adjuster to give about 1/4in space between adjuster and nut. Take up all slack at cable adjuster and tighten. Now adjust lever to give about 1/8in gap between lever and stop. Let me know... John

1980 KZ650F1, Bought new out the door for $2,162.98!
Attachments:
Last edit: 20 Jul 2008 17:32 by Bluemeanie.