Chain tightening

More
19 Jul 2008 22:44 #227175 by fosterpunk
Chain tightening was created by fosterpunk
I just bought a kz 1000 ltd. pretty cool bike. but latley i have heard some weird noise, turns out my chain is slapping the frame, any body know how to tighten the chain or would it be smarter to go to the mechanic?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Jul 2008 00:41 #227182 by supercharged
Replied by supercharged on topic Chain tightening
1st, if is loose enought to slap the frame, DON'T ride it. The possibility is that it can pop off the sprocket and what follows that is not fun.

Chain tightning is fairly simple and even with the stock tools, a beginner can tackle the task. If you happen to have the manual, there are EZ steps outlined there to tighten and a description of what is tight. Be sure to measure the chain while seated on the bike.

Since you just acquired the bike, and without any description of the condition, I would caution you to have someone with a bit of knowledge inspect the chain and sprocket. Many of these old bikes need new chains. I just purchased one, and the person rode it daily, but the chain is horrible, you can hear links bind as it rolls.

If you were to inspect the chain, again, since these are older bikes, may want to check the swing arm bearings.

Don't want to drown you in inspections... but... these are older bikes.

Mike D
- 79 KZ1000 LTD Supercharged
- 80 KZ1000 1105cc Pridmore/Vetter tribute
- 79 Honda CBX
- 03 Z1000 Mod
- 80 KZ1000 LTD Modified
- 80 KZ1000 LTD PROJECT on Hold
- 78 KZ1000/900 - Street big block
- 78 KZ1000-NEEDS HELP!
- 80 CBX -Project STARTED
- 81 GPZ1100
- GSRX1200
- 80 CB750F supersport......

More
20 Jul 2008 04:48 #227194 by KZErider
Replied by KZErider on topic Chain tightening
I agree that you should have someone who knows about bikes to take a look at it. You may need to change the sprokets also. If you can get a service manual (a must for DIY), it will show you what and how to measure everything out to see if it falls within specs. I wouldn't ride it until you know it's safe!

81 KZ750E2(project), 81 KZ750E2(parts donor), 87 BMW K 75C - got it runnin, didn't care for it, holding for family member, 79 CB650(project) Nomad 1700, VStar 950

More
20 Jul 2008 11:40 #227282 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Chain tightening
You really need the Factory Service Manual if you're going to ride this bike. Not only will it save you tons of money by instructing you how to do everything from the simplist routine maintenance (such as adjusting the chain, changing fluids, etc.) it also provides descriptions of how the various components work and how to check safety items. IMO, without it you won't know how to do simple preventative maintenance and you will end up suffering problems (some of which could hurt you) that could have been easily avoided. You can find original Kawasaki manuals on eBay and other sources, just be sure to get the one for your exact model bike. If you need help finding one, let us know. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)