Probably another stupid question...

More
15 Jul 2008 13:00 #226327 by cluelessone
Probably another stupid question... was created by cluelessone
You're probably gonna laugh me out of the forum guys but I need to ask the question. New rider, new bike, lack of experience etc...

Here's the fuel tap on my KZ550.

Primary I understand. Reserve I understand. But what the hell is the ON selection for? Go on laugh away, but please explain before you do!

Oh, and can anyone tell me the specific model I have? 8 81 on the handlebars?

Thanks guys.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Jul 2008 13:10 #226328 by RonKZ650
Replied by RonKZ650 on topic Probably another stupid question...
"Pri"=Prime. This means fuel will always flow into the carburetors until the floats shut off flow. Use this position if you have drained the carbs or the motorcycle has set some length of time to fill the carbs.
"On" is your normal riding position. This means gas flows only when the engine is running so carbs don't overflow if they are not working correctly after the engine is shut off.
"Res" is reserve. Same as on, except used after gas has gotten too low in the tank for "on" to get gas flow, usually 1/2 gallon or so.

321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.

More
15 Jul 2008 13:11 #226329 by ericvm
Replied by ericvm on topic Probably another stupid question...
you have a vacuum actuated petcock. when the engine is running it causes a vacuum, moving a diaphram in the petcock allowing fuel to flow. If your petcock is working normally and hooked up right you should leave it in the "ON" position. the "PRI" setting is for priming the float bowls on the carbs. Say, if you re-install the carbs on the bike, and you need to fill them with fuel again.

\'82 Gpz 750 (KZ 750 R)

More
15 Jul 2008 13:28 #226333 by cluelessone
Replied by cluelessone on topic Probably another stupid question...
Thanks guys, for the quick response and enlightening me.

More
15 Jul 2008 14:36 #226347 by 76 LTD
Replied by 76 LTD on topic Probably another stupid question...
spend a couple bucks and get a non vacuum petcock setup.save your self some grief down the road.