New KZ550 - Oil leak....I think

More
14 Jul 2008 11:32 - 14 Jul 2008 11:35 #226101 by cluelessone
New KZ550 - Oil leak....I think was created by cluelessone
Hi Guys,

I've just posted a welcome message in the Newbie forum, passed my test a couple of weeks ago and will soon become the proud owner this KZ550.

Anyway, I hope to get know you all with over the course of the next few weeks but please allow me to firstly apologise for my complete ignorance and the inevitable stupid questions I'll be asking. So, took her out for a ride yesterday covered about 40 miles, no dramas, returned home, put her on the side stand only for her to leak what I think is oil onto the road. I didn't actually see the leak happen so couldn't determine exactly where it came from. Not a great deal but enough to say cover an A4 piece of paper. I've taken some pictures of where I think the leak is coming from so have had a good look underneath and discovered a couple of loose hoses? Potential culprits? I know you guys can't tell me where its coming from but I'm hoping you can give me a nudge in the right direction to troubleshoot it.

Thanks in advance guys,
CLuelessOne
Attachments:
Last edit: 14 Jul 2008 11:35 by cluelessone.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Jul 2008 11:36 #226102 by cluelessone
Replied by cluelessone on topic New KZ550 - Oil leak....I think
here they are...

Attachments:

More
14 Jul 2008 11:37 - 14 Jul 2008 11:38 #226103 by cluelessone
Replied by cluelessone on topic New KZ550 - Oil leak....I think
and another...

I'm not sure where this disconnected hose is supposed to go.

Attachments:
Last edit: 14 Jul 2008 11:38 by cluelessone.

More
14 Jul 2008 13:33 #226123 by RonKZ650
Replied by RonKZ650 on topic New KZ550 - Oil leak....I think
Those are carb overflow hoses. Follow them up to where they attach to. If they go to the bottom of all 4 carburetors, then they are fuel overflows and simply hang there like your pictures show. If they are leaking, it's gas and you got carburetor and petcock problems. If it's oil leaking, you'll have to dig more into things as oil isn't in those hoses.

321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.

More
15 Jul 2008 07:50 #226266 by kzwolfsr
Replied by kzwolfsr on topic New KZ550 - Oil leak....I think
Most likely need to clean your carbs. Check needle jets for debris stuck in them. When you do take of the carbs to clean them, open the drain screws and let the gas out. If not possible take off the float bowls with the carbs the right way up. I learned recently that when you turn the carbs upside down with fuel in it, it sends the debris to the top and they stay there til you put the carbs back on and add gas and the scenario starts all over again

1979 KZ SR650, stock candy persimmon red and crossover pipes
1981 KZ 1000LTD with non stock and more comfortable handle bars and 4 into one V&H
Original man of the Caribbean