Question on surface finishing of engine castings

More
31 Jul 2008 16:30 #229434 by SpiralBrush
Replied by SpiralBrush on topic Question on surface finishing of engine castings
Pardon me for jumping in...new (vendor) member, introduced by a local bike restorer. He saw Ibike's reference to our company's web site ( www.spiralbrushes.com ) in this discussion and pointed it out to me. Thanks to Ibike for his kind words about our product selection . We sell primarily through distributors, in particular, McMaster-Carr who has a catalog link in the kzrider Vendor directory under Tools. On their site, navigate your way to "brass wheel brushes" and you will find an IN-STOCK selection of 40+ brushes ranging from 2" diam. to 10" diam with wire sizes from .003" up to .020". McMaster may not be cheap, but they ship next, if not same day, to address LeeLewis's concern.

I have never personally brushed between the fins of an aluminum engine casting, but my local bike restorer friend is currently trying out one of our 6" diameter wheels with .010" brass wire. You might need to specify a narrow-face brush (1/2" or less) to fit between the fins. I should see him this Sunday and will find out his results.

Let me know if I can help out with any brushing information. If anyone knows of a bike restoration focused distributor where we should sell our products, please refer me, and I will chase it down.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Aug 2008 08:18 #230486 by LeeLewis7
Replied by LeeLewis7 on topic Question on surface finishing of engine castings
Ordered several different brushes yesterday, and expect delivery by tomorrow. (From MSC since I already had an account there and they are almost local) Mostly brass wire brushes in the .005 dia range, with one .005 steel brush thrown in for good measure. I'll post again once I've tested the effect of each new brush on various surfaces. I'm interested to see how these new brushes stack up against the much coarser ones I've already tried. Remember that it's not about laziness, but efficiency. :laugh:

Chattanooga, TN
1984 KZ1000 P3 (Blue Shift)
kzrider.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&...8353&catid=11#218353

More
06 Aug 2008 08:21 #230487 by LeeLewis7
Replied by LeeLewis7 on topic Question on surface finishing of engine castings
Also meant to mention that I'm taking the engine cases/covers to a soda-blaster this afternoon, so we'll get to see how that stacks up against the soft wire wheel brushes also.

Pics will be posted.....

Chattanooga, TN
1984 KZ1000 P3 (Blue Shift)
kzrider.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&...8353&catid=11#218353

More
10 Nov 2008 09:12 #246623 by phat1020
A buddy of mine owns a high end detail shop,he told me to use aircraft aluminum aerosol cleaner.You can find it in most auto paint stores.