More cam chain tensioning

More
13 Jul 2008 08:03 #225856 by mbsween
More cam chain tensioning was created by mbsween
Okay,
I switched to the APE manual adjust a bit ago and adjusted it by hand tightening then running the bike and adjusting (fine tuning) till it sounded good.

Bike is an 83 750 L3 btw, 108,000 miles, new cam chain at 100,000k

I have the cam cover off for a valve adjustment and notice the cam chain still goes slack (with cam chain adjuster in) just after the 1-4 T mark goes by the pointer.

Is this normal behavior? Should I adjust it till its always tight? I know when the valve cover goes on it adds some tension.

The reason I ask is the cam chain still makes noise at idle, once I'm over 2k on the tach all it goes away. I don't want to over tighten and the noise is mild, but it would be cool to get rid of it.

Thanks
Matt

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Jul 2008 08:48 #225866 by kz750ohio
Replied by kz750ohio on topic More cam chain tensioning
If I remember correctly. You will need to have the valve cover on. Then turn the bike over, do not let it start then turn the bolt in until finger tight. After that back it out a 1/4 turn and all should be good. If that does not help then it could be time to replace the timing chain. If you do that go ahead and replace the chain guides while your in there.

cheers

1982 kawasaki kz750 with mikuni carbs bs34, stock everything else.

More
13 Jul 2008 10:49 - 13 Jul 2008 10:50 #225893 by steell
Replied by steell on topic More cam chain tensioning

If that does not help then it could be time to replace the timing chain.

I'd be more that a little upset if I had to replace a cam chain every 8k miles!

Bike is an 83 750 L3 btw, 108,000 miles, new cam chain at 100,000k

As you know (I have seen you on the GPz mailing list), the cam cover has a slipper in the top that pushes down on the cam chain, so there has to be a little slack in the chain when the cover is off. I think what you are seeing is the valve springs pushing the exhaust cam ahead as it passes TDC, thus showing the slack that should be there anyway.

I don't think it is possible to make the cam chain totally silent, at least without tightening it so far as to cause excessive wear and possible damage.

KD9JUR
Last edit: 13 Jul 2008 10:50 by steell.

More
13 Jul 2008 15:10 #225944 by mbsween
Replied by mbsween on topic More cam chain tensioning
Thanks Steel,
I thought the slack was normal. I've had the thing so damn long I forget what it sounded like when new :laugh: