Bike won't start

More
12 Jul 2008 17:46 #225769 by SPARTAN
Bike won't start was created by SPARTAN
My bike is a 81' KZ750E

I just put my bike back together after installing new gaskets, because the old ones were leaking bad and now the bike won't start at all.

I re-installed everything back together and made sure the timing was correct and everything now when I press the ignition button all I get is a CLICK....

I'm stumped and very disappointed, can you guys help?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Jul 2008 18:45 #225780 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic Bike won't start
I would first check the battery condition(full of the right kind of fluid) the tightness of the battery connections(red for positive and black for negative) also the ground connection to the engine/frame and the battery connection to the starter solenoid and then the connection to the starter motor.

Do the lights come on and do they dim when you try to start? this is an indication of a high resistance connection that needs repair. A few minutes with a small wire brush on the battery terminals works wonders. After cleaning the terminals smear a thin coating of vaseline covering the posts as this will reduce further corrosion.

The bullet connectors can be a real pain to clean and I've found the best way to remove the corrosion is to go to a welding supply shop and buy the fold out container of tip cleaners.

After cleaning the connectors spray them with electrical contact cleaner, not WD-40 as I've found after time the WD becomes non conductive. I've mentioned in the past about the benefits of a electrical contact cleaner/preservative made by Caig labratories in San Diego Ca. www.deoxit.com try it on all of your electrical contact areas. I believe it can be purchased at Radio Shack.

This should get the bike to turn over and start but if it is still reluctant to run look at either charging the battery or replacing it.

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

More
13 Jul 2008 11:35 #225912 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic Bike won't start
If the click is coming from your starter solenoid, that is as it should be. First thing you need to do is to get a good battery that is properly filled with battery acid and charge it using a slow charge / low amp charger. Once you have the good battery in, take a piece of wire and jump the two lugs on the solenoid using a piece of heavy wire. There will be sparks so make sure you don't have your hands where they can get shocked (keep them on insulation). The one lug on the solenoid is connected to that good battery you just reinstalled and the other to your starter. If the starter doesn't do anything, make sure that the wire, actually a cable, is connected to the lug on the starter. The starter grounds through its case. If you bridge the lugs on the solenoid and the starter doesn't turn, either the starter or solenoid are bad. You can take the cable off the starter and touch it on the POS battery terminal and see if it works. Either the solenoid or starter are likely bad since you get a click. If you find both are good, the starter button is likely bad or the black wire that connects the button to the solenoid is un-connected and you are imagining the clicking noise hehe

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!