Fast idle...

• BeeSting
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Drive it like your tax dollars already paid for it
More
12 Jul 2008 12:08 #225722 by BeeSting
Fast idle... was created by BeeSting
Well she's on the road now. Took her out for a bit, then took my son for a spin on it.

After he got off, I putted around for a bit more. I pulled into a parking lot because it seemed like it wasnt running right - lo and behold I had the choke on. After switching it off it reved smoother and ran great. I just have to get those exhaust gaskets put on (ordered them locally today) and I'm good to go.

After a while of blasting around the engine started wanting to keep a very high idle - around 4k. In gear it behaved a little better, but I didnt even need throttle to maintain speed. Is my idle set too high? Or what else could it be?

Could the exhaust leaks (at the manifold) have anything to do with it?

BeeSting

Flint, Michigan - Chicagoland, IL

If I wasnt such a badass American, I would have to drive a Harley to make up for it

1980 Kawasaki KZ750 H1 LTD (4)
Kurayami (Girl of Darkness)暗闇の女

1980 Honda CX500C - GONE
Christine

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Jul 2008 12:53 #225726 by anarki650
Replied by anarki650 on topic Fast idle...
How do your plugs look after riding around a bit? High idle can be caused by a lean condition, which could be caused by your missing exhaust gaskets (too much exhaust airflow). Your plugs will tell you if it's lean.

09 Kawasaki ER6n
77 kz650b1 cafe rebirth project
"Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube, that's why God made fast motorcycles..."
Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
Omaha NE

• BeeSting
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
12 Jul 2008 16:47 #225757 by BeeSting
Replied by BeeSting on topic Fast idle...
All four are dry - 3 look like they're on the lean side and one looks sooty. I'm not sure to what extent one header is leaking compared to another, but here's the pic

They are in order from left (1) to right (4)

BeeSting

If I wasnt such a badass American, I would have to drive a Harley to make up for it

1980 Honda CX500C - GONE
Christine
Attachments:

More
12 Jul 2008 18:38 #225779 by Bullitt03737
Replied by Bullitt03737 on topic Fast idle...
I believe a sooty spark plug in cylinder #2 indicates a bad petcock.

1980 CSR 1000. New dyna Coils, Vacumn Less Petcock, Various Handle bars depending on the day, (Drag and Clubman.)

• BeeSting
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
12 Jul 2008 19:10 #225785 by BeeSting
Replied by BeeSting on topic Fast idle...
Well I have no other indication of a bad petcock. When I take off the lines I can shake the tank around and no fuel comes out.

BeeSting

1980 Honda CX500C - GONE
Christine

More
13 Jul 2008 06:00 #225833 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic Fast idle...
High idle is most likely a leak somewhere. I would check to ensure that all four vacuum ports are capped. I would then check the seat on the carb assembly for leaks. I would then look at the throttle cable. Should have VISIBLE slack when you bend over and look at the cable as it enters the bellcrank. Also, there is an idle adjust knob that could have gotten knocked around. Only a TINY little difference in the amount the throttle butterflies are open will change the idle speed dramatically. Try turning the idle screw down some... plastic knob, etc.

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

More
13 Jul 2008 06:20 #225837 by harm
Replied by harm on topic Fast idle...
Yeah, what wiredgeorge said!

It is not your exhaust gaskets

Tom
Holland, MI

1980 KZ550 ELR

2011 Concours14

2017 KX450 [/color]

More
13 Jul 2008 08:09 #225859 by Link14
Replied by Link14 on topic Fast idle...
Just want to reiterate what these other two said...I've had high idle problems on two occasions with my 750-4. The first was I routed the throttle cable wrong and it was kind of pinched, kept looking for vacuum leaks until I checked for slack at the carb end of the cable and realized there wasn't any. The second was a small split in my vacuum line to #4 carb. Wouldn't show up at first, but when the rubber softened, it would open up. My 400 had the same problem with the petcock vacuum line.

Good luck!

• SebRain77
  • User
  • When in doubt, gas it!
More
13 Jul 2008 11:53 #225915 by SebRain77
Replied by SebRain77 on topic Fast idle...
Just make sure that the carbs are FREE of anything but good fresh gas. Throttle stuck open in rush hour last month, 70mph in stop and go traffic is a butt puckerer! Turns out there was some dried gooey gas in carbs 1 and 2 (from a badly cleaned gas tank) See pic below. Recleaned everything, did the POR15 tank liner and now it runs like new, except for that oil leak, but that's not the subject here.... might be worth taking the carbs off and taking a look at the slides, make sure there's nothing in there sticking, like dried gooey gas, preventing the normal return of the throttle assembly. Just my own experience.

Ever hit the pavement? I did, put that gear on!

1977 KZ 650C1 - First bike, ever! For sale - or not!?!?
2004 Z750 - More power than I'll ever need...
Gatineau, Qc, Canada eh!
Attachments: