www.overstockpartsgalore.com... 1015cc Kit w/ Cyclinder: OMR

• Old Man Rock
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
12 Jul 2008 10:47 - 12 Jul 2008 10:49 #225718 by Old Man Rock
Hey all,

Wasn't 100% sure about this so went and did it anyways...
Figured, what the hell did I have to loose but an extra $100 on a crappy cylinder... Well I was WRONG!!!!

The Cylinder is SWEEEEEEEEEEEET... It looks brand spanking new, no broken fins, seems to have new sleeves and it is already bored and honed... I know, shameful plug...

As can be reviewed, they also have 1045cc and 1075cc kits...

www.overstockpartsgalore.com/engine1007.html

As mentioned in another posting (My dumb ass snapping my engine case)I had been in contact with Jay Regan at MRE, turns out they do the machining on these cylinders...

Jay was a good guy, easy to talk to, informative and had reasonable pricing... Cases with Main crank cap, $50. Jay also had the shift drum and shift forks I was needing...

They also offer all the updated timing components I was looking for... All in all, scored... B) Thanks Mark1122 for turning me onto MRE...

MRE:
Jay Regan 800-237-7223
mrerace@aol.com

Old Man Rock

1976 KZ900-A4
MTC 1075cc.
Camshafts: Kawi GPZ-1100 .375 lift
Head: P&P via Larry Cavanaugh
ZX636 suspension
MIKUNI, RS-34'S...
Kerker 4-1, 1.5" comp baffle.
Dyna-S E.I.
Earls 10 row Oil Cooler
Acewell 2802 Series Speedo/Tach
Innovate LC1 Wideband 02 AFR meter

Phoenix, Az
Attachments:
Last edit: 12 Jul 2008 10:49 by Old Man Rock.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Jul 2008 11:23 #225909 by shighley
Looks Good! Have you had a chance to measure anything yet? Size, roundness, straightness etc? Almost looks too good to be true. Best Regards, Steve

\'74 Z1-A, Bought new, worn out 3 times, being ridden now
\'83 XVZ12TK, was daily driver until frame broke
\'78 KZ650SR-D1A, Son's bike, I'm the wrench (He's young)!

More
13 Jul 2008 17:45 #225977 by steell
Been racking my brain trying to remember where I had heard of MRE before, then it finally hit me.

Meal, Ready to Eat, Military field rations :D :D :D

KD9JUR

• Old Man Rock
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
13 Jul 2008 18:06 #225983 by Old Man Rock
"Have you had a chance to measure anything yet, Almost looks too good to be true"... Nope, haven't measured anything yet.

Actually, I have an e-mail over to MRE querying shouldn't there be some kind of marking depicting which piston went to what cylinder... Or did they insert new sleeves which only required honing...

I'll keep everyone posted as I learn more, but just thought I'd share where if someone was facing the same cylinder issues/boring & honing, just seems to good to be true.

Meals Ready to Eat.... Being a Veteran myself, hadn't heard that one in quite some time... Hmmmm so good... Add water = instant steak! :X

I'm on the left, East Germany Border Patrol... 3rd ID Recon, 1982

Old Man Rock

1976 KZ900-A4
MTC 1075cc.
ZX636 suspension
MIKUNI, RS-34'S...
Dyna-S E.I.
Earls 10 row Oil Cooler

Phoenix, Az
Attachments:

More
14 Jul 2008 06:14 #226036 by shighley
Old Man Rock; The fact that the pistons aren't marked doesn't really bother me too much. The manufacturing tolerances on parts made on modern equipment are so small that the pistons may be interchangeable. If you measure the skirt diameters on your pistons, I'm guessing they will be within .0002 of an inch of each other. The hard part is measuring the bores. I sent an email to them asking for more information. I would love to buy one of these kits! Ride safe, Steve

• Old Man Rock
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
14 Jul 2008 07:15 #226042 by Old Man Rock

The manufacturing tolerances on parts made on modern equipment are so small that the pistons may be interchangeable. If you measure the skirt diameters on your pistons, I'm guessing they will be within .0002 of an inch of each other.

Yep, just recieved an e-mail from Jay....
The cylinder was in fact bored and honed to fit, not just a 1015 block honed out.........

All four pistons measured within a couple tenths of each other so any piston can go in any hole on your particular setup.

So all is good... Should be receiving my cases and shift drum/forks this week. New lower end seals and I can finally start putting this beast back together...

As for this topic, new upgraded heavy duty cylinder studs,complete timing (chain, gears, idlers,rollers, guides etc..) swap out.

Then there's the head... .365 CAM is the way I'm going. Then off for 3 way porting with new valve guides and seals.

OMR hopes he can stayed married throughout all this....
I need her income for more parts. :laugh:

OMR

1976 KZ900-A4
MTC 1075cc.
ZX636 suspension
MIKUNI, RS-34'S...
Dyna-S E.I.
Earls 10 row Oil Cooler

Phoenix, Az

More
15 Jul 2008 06:19 #226246 by shighley
Old Man Rock; Got some answers myself from them:
"Steve,
These kits are certainly for the street and a few have hit the drag strip with great results.
The Wiseco pistons are excellent and we machine, bore , hone and deck to better than factory specs. all parts are new, no seconds or blems, our reputation is on the line. we are a full service machine shop and have been doing so since the 70's.
gary"

I'm gonna get a kit if they are still available. You mentioned head work, who is doing it? I need to freshen up my head and I had a horrible experience with the last one I sent out.

You also mentioned heavy duty cylinder studs. I remember back in the day that the block stud holes that serve as oiling galleries needed to be opened up as the HD studs are larger diameter. Might be something to check out as starving the valve train would not be good!

Did you have any crankshaft work done? Falicon used to be the place to go, but that was 100 years ago. (My God, I think I hijacked this thread, My Bad!) Thanks OMR for pointing me in this direction! Ride safe, Steve

• Old Man Rock
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
15 Jul 2008 09:27 #226288 by Old Man Rock
"You mentioned head work, who is doing it? I need to freshen up my head and I had a horrible experience with the last one I sent out."... Sorry to hear the last one..

I have been in contact with Larry Caravnaugh regarding a 3 angle valve & port job. Easy to talk to, experienced and informative plus his prices seem reasonable compared to other locations offering the same service.

www.flowbenchtech.com/porting/CRH/pricing.htm

Since I don't know the history of this bike nor how it was ridden (beat to death) I'm having my springs, guides and seals replaced, regardless.

"You also mentioned heavy duty cylinder studs. I remember back in the day that the block stud holes that serve as oiling galleries needed to be opened up as the HD studs are larger diameter."

I hadn't thought of that, anyone else have experience regarding this?

Unless I'm missing something here, I don't see how this would be an obstruction of the oil passages. Then again, beyond my knowledge so definately worth asking about, Thanks!

"Did you have any crankshaft work done?"
Naw, I thought about it but since I decided on the 1015cc and .365 CAM didn't feel that was necessary... Then agin, I have been wrong before...

"hijacked thread"... LOL! Don't worry about that here for knowledge is power. For what I'm doing $$$ on this bike I want it done right the first time, no mistakes or go cheap now...

Will she be the fastest KZ900 out there, by no means. Will she be a strong runner, new timing components, smooth tranny, new legs (suspension), new ignition, upgraded carbs, oil seals etc... No doubt about it for it was done right the first time...

Again, want to do this right so there's no second guessing.

I figure it this way, for an extra amount of $$$ (1K-3K) I'll have a brand new spanking kick ass KZ900. Total investment under $5k. Where you going to get a brand new 1000cc bike these days for that...

OMR

1976 KZ900-A4
MTC 1075cc.
ZX636 suspension
MIKUNI, RS-34'S...
Dyna-S E.I.
Earls 10 row Oil Cooler

Phoenix, Az

More
15 Jul 2008 14:57 #226354 by steell
I'm fairly certain APE Jay has posted that the oil passages don't have to be opened up when using APE heavy duty studs.

Normally you could expect Jay to be here answering these questions, but considering the time of year I suspect he is pretty busy right now.

KD9JUR

• Old Man Rock
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
15 Jul 2008 16:33 #226364 by Old Man Rock
"APE heavy duty studs." Yep, actually got them at Z1 Enterprises...

Plus a whole slew of other stuff most of which is APE or Liska products... All the same part numbers, dollar here or there difference but outside of that, all the exact same.

OMR

1976 KZ900-A4
MTC 1075cc.
ZX636 suspension
MIKUNI, RS-34'S...
Dyna-S E.I.
Earls 10 row Oil Cooler

Phoenix, Az

More
17 Jul 2008 23:21 #226838 by Tony
I priced out a 1075 piston kit and boring my cylinder block at the "local, popular" western Canada bike engine shop. They wanted 650 dollars for the piston kit, 300 dollars for boring, plus gaskets, and shipping 2 ways and tax.....
I guess business is so good they don't have to be competitive in pricing.

More
18 Jul 2008 00:03 #226844 by APE Jay
steell wrote:

I'm fairly certain APE Jay has posted that the oil passages don't have to be opened up when using APE heavy duty studs.

Normally you could expect Jay to be here answering these questions, but considering the time of year I suspect he is pretty busy right now.

You absolutely do not have to open up the stud holes with the heavy duty studs.

Jay