One in a million...pasta Jerry Seinfeld!

More
10 Jul 2008 21:14 #225452 by pugsley
The other day while leaving work with my buddy I kind of was hot rodding my bike(8000 RPM in first), I didn't think it was too bad. Maybe I was wrong, because after this brief blast the KZ started running like crap. All I really wanted to do was run down my buddies moped...cb500. So I limped her home and thought I would check the #4 cylinder, as it did not seem to be firing. So I pulled the plug and layed it next to the head nut to see if it was firing. As I had it laying there I thought, "I might be able to notice a low compression on this hole, if I holed a piston." I didn't notice any low compression, but I did see an emblem screw laying next to the plug hole. I am pretty sure it was a tank emblem screw(I got the bike with no tank emblems).

So anyway, next thing I know the screw is gone and I have a ping,ping. So after all this long windedness, I guess I just need to know how to remove this screw, so I can diagnose the original running like crap problem?

Sorry if this is unledgible, I have been self medicating the lack of a KZ.

Pugs

1983 KZ750F1 shaftie, 1980 KZ750H1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Jul 2008 21:49 #225458 by jmargrav
Replied by jmargrav on topic One in a million...pasta Jerry Seinfeld!
the screw is probably steel so you could get one of thoes cheap little magnets that are always sitting on the countertop at the parts store, or sometimes we can use these little graplers to reach down peoples drains to get things out, my dad owns a plumbing shop. But other than that you would probably have to remove the head to get to it!

1982 KZ750-E3
Lariamie Wyoming GO WYO!

More
11 Jul 2008 05:48 #225495 by Locozuna
Replied by Locozuna on topic One in a million...pasta Jerry Seinfeld!
:blink: :blink: :blink: :unsure: :ohmy: :S :S :angry: :angry: :angry: :ohmy: Don't say it fell into the hole AND YOU RAN IT!!!! :huh: :dry: :dry: :dry: :huh: :dry:

KZ900LTD, KZ750LTD, KZ650, 72'Triumph Trident
"Over the Mountains
Of the Moon,
Down the Valley of the Shadow,
Ride, boldly ride,"
The shade replied
"If you seek for Eldorado!"

More
12 Jul 2008 08:01 #225693 by pugsley
Replied by pugsley on topic One in a million...pasta Jerry Seinfeld!
It was running when it fell in to the hole. I then immediately shut it off. I tried a magnet, but I think a better attempt is needed.

Pugs

1983 KZ750F1 shaftie, 1980 KZ750H1

More
12 Jul 2008 10:03 #225710 by Locozuna
Replied by Locozuna on topic One in a million...pasta Jerry Seinfeld!
Unless you can see it and can get a hemostat or one of those 3 pronged cable grabbers down to snatch it a magnet is your best bet short of disassembly. That lil' bugger can do some nasty damage very quickly. I suppose a small hose on a vacuum MIGHT get it but I think you'd have to be very very lucky! GLuck!

KZ900LTD, KZ750LTD, KZ650, 72'Triumph Trident
"Over the Mountains
Of the Moon,
Down the Valley of the Shadow,
Ride, boldly ride,"
The shade replied
"If you seek for Eldorado!"

More
12 Jul 2008 10:20 - 12 Jul 2008 10:24 #225713 by Bluemeanie
Replied by Bluemeanie on topic One in a million...pasta Jerry Seinfeld!
Can you actually see it? Hopefully it did not get caught between the valve and seat? I don't believe the valve opens enough to allow the screw to pass through. Move piston up or down to get best possible viewable angle. DO NOT start engine again until you know status of screw.... good luck and let us know.

PS, just curious ... how did this screw just happen to be laying there? With riding, screw should have fallen off long time ago.... :huh:

1980 KZ650F1, Bought new out the door for $2,162.98!
Last edit: 12 Jul 2008 10:24 by Bluemeanie.

• CoreyClough
  • User
  • GPz550 Addiction
More
12 Jul 2008 10:35 #225716 by CoreyClough
Replied by CoreyClough on topic One in a million...pasta Jerry Seinfeld!
Vacuum it out the spark plug hole, unless it already went through and is in the muffler.

'85 GPz550(ZX550-A2)

GPz550 Base Manual --> tinyurl.com/ze5b3qo
GPz550 Supplement Manual --> tinyurl.com/h34d2o6
GPz550.com --> www.nwsca.com/scripts/gpz_forum_2005/default.asp
First Race Win GPz550 --> tinyurl.com/o5y3ftp