Exhaust - removal and installation

• KOOL RYDER
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • KZ 650B2 / KZ 1000E
More
08 Jul 2008 13:57 #224942 by KOOL RYDER
Exhaust - removal and installation was created by KOOL RYDER
I kow that the term easy is realative when it comes to working on a bike, but how easy is it to remove the stock 4 into 2 and install the 4 into 1 system?

What will I need other than the new system?
Copper ghaskets? Anything else?

What 4 into 1 will allow me to keep the center stand?

I always stink like exhaust after riding and figured that the header ghasket must be blown.

Plus I do not think it is good for my health.

Thanks dudes, this will be my last post for a while as I have pretty much asked everything I have to for the time being.

I have recieved a lot of excellent advice from my KZ brothers on this site. Take it easy.

KRB)

Rockin\' a KZ650B2 since 2007 and a KZ 1000E since 2008

1978 KZ650B
1979 KZ1000ST

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Jul 2008 14:58 #224954 by RonKZ650
Replied by RonKZ650 on topic Exhaust - removal and installation
It's not all that hard. Pretty much all you have to do is unbolt the stock up at the head, unbolt the clamps at the end of your 1-4 header pipes, then these can be removed, then unbolt the cross tube clamps, unbolt the rear pipe mounts, pull the pipes outward to separate the two, then remove each from the head. I think most all 4/1 pipes will retain oil filter access. Removing the stock removes the stop for the centerstand, so you need to either remove, fabricate a stop or hope that the aftermarket kit has some chinese thingy included that works.
To install the new all you need to do is install new brass rings in the head then basically just bolt it up in one piece. You'll notice all the head pipes will be slightly different lengths normally and it takes a little force to get all of them into the head (wonderful aftermarket quality).
Funny you mention the exhaust smell, as I just did the exact reverse putting the stock on because the Kerker being shorter in the rear exit always made me smell exaust where the longer stock doesn't

321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.