KZ900 Tranny Gear Alignments???

• Old Man Rock
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
06 Jul 2008 10:04 #224421 by Old Man Rock
KZ900 Tranny Gear Alignments??? was created by Old Man Rock
Hey all,

While waiting to find a crankcase set (Mark 1122) I did receive back an e-mail from Jay to contact him tomorrow. He's fairly sure he has some... Big Kuddo's...

I started looking at all the workings of crank and transmission gearing. In review of the OEM Shop manual and Haynes manuals I have there doesn't seem to be any mentioning of aligning all this up.

Example, I'm fairly confident that I have it in neutral (free spin on the drive shaft), shift to 1st & 2nd no problem, seems to be working. Then nada after that, almost as it is no in 5th gear and theres no more to go.

So, either somethings whacked or I have a miss alignment meaning rotation of the gearing... Or as I was originally concerned with I HAVE NO FREAKIN CLUE AS TO WTF I'M DOING!!! Why did I listen to my old friend... should have just left the SOB alone... hahahahahahaha...

Anyone have a blow up image with all this in the lower case, alignments of some sort, arrows, shaft markings etc...

Actually learning a whole slew of things about these beautiful machines... As frustrating as it may be it will be all worth while in time...

Old Man Rock

1976 KZ900-A4
MTC 1075cc.
Camshafts: Kawi GPZ-1100 .375 lift
Head: P&P via Larry Cavanaugh
ZX636 suspension
MIKUNI, RS-34'S...
Kerker 4-1, 1.5" comp baffle.
Dyna-S E.I.
Earls 10 row Oil Cooler
Acewell 2802 Series Speedo/Tach
Innovate LC1 Wideband 02 AFR meter

Phoenix, Az

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Old Man Rock
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
06 Jul 2008 12:49 #224450 by Old Man Rock
Replied by Old Man Rock on topic KZ900 Tranny Gear Alignments???
Seems the shift fork tabs are jamming on the shift drum groves. Even with the shaft drive w/gears out they hang up.

Well, I guess braking open the cases was inevitable....

The KZ GOD's are pissed off at Old Man Rock... :pinch:

OMR

1976 KZ900-A4
MTC 1075cc.
ZX636 suspension
MIKUNI, RS-34'S...
Dyna-S E.I.
Earls 10 row Oil Cooler

Phoenix, Az

• mark1122
  • User
  • Keep twisting it
More
06 Jul 2008 18:25 #224529 by mark1122
Replied by mark1122 on topic KZ900 Tranny Gear Alignments???
it is easy to miss aligne the gears on the bench.if 1 gear slides sideways a tad the side pins will grab the next gear.
put it upside down on the bench with the pan off and check if the right gears are meshing or if another is catching.
u have the cases slit and the top is off right?
if i recall ,doesnt the motor have to be rotating to get to 3rd gear, due to the shift balls in the shaft.

76 KZ, frame gusset work,1200CC.Ported by Larry Cavanaugh, 1.5mm.over intakes, Carron Pipe, ZRX12 rear end, and seat,96zx9 front end.
01 CBR600F4i Track bike.
Cobourg, Ont. Can.

~ ~ ~_@
~ ~ _- \,
~ (k) / (z)

More
06 Jul 2008 19:23 #224541 by steell
Replied by steell on topic KZ900 Tranny Gear Alignments???
The output shaft has to be rotating to shift to second. The motor doesn't have to be rotating, you can spin the shaft by hand and shift it.

KD9JUR

• Old Man Rock
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
07 Jul 2008 04:38 #224583 by Old Man Rock
Replied by Old Man Rock on topic KZ900 Tranny Gear Alignments???
"output shaft has to be rotating to shift to second. The motor doesn't have to be rotating, you can spin the shaft by hand and shift it."

That's what I was thinking... Here's where I've come up with so far.

In review of the shift forks they have stamped numbers on them, T 5 (clutch side of casing)& T6 (CC sprocket side of casing). OEM research depict that these two forks should be identical, matching part numbers.

In removing the Shaft Drive (clutch shaft) with gears and going through the gear shift mechanism I can only get through 1st & 2nd gears with both shifting forks connected in place on the output shaft.

In leaving T5 disconnected off the Output Shaft then I can get through all the gears even with the drive shaft in place. Not easily mind you but it will shift through the pattern. Seems T5 is binding and when I hit the top gears it won't slide over enough...

It's as though the two forks aren't working in unison thus binding.. Swap the shift forks I believe is the way to go and possibly the shift drum as well...

Hell might as well since I'm in here anyways... I don't want to have to go through this (splitting cases) again...

Larry, I'll PM/call you later on those cases...

Thanks for the help all,

OMR

1976 KZ900-A4
MTC 1075cc.
ZX636 suspension
MIKUNI, RS-34'S...
Dyna-S E.I.
Earls 10 row Oil Cooler

Phoenix, Az