77 kz650 valve cams not playing nice please help

More
02 Jul 2008 14:38 #223547 by djcamp10
so i'm almost back to running but the valve cams aren't playing nice. is there a trick to losen the cam chain enough to get the cams in place. it seems much tighter than when i took it off to start the project.

1977 Kz650 B1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Jul 2008 15:11 #223552 by steell
You did remove the cam chain tensioner, didn't you? Or at least lock it in the full retracted position?

KD9JUR

More
02 Jul 2008 17:51 #223578 by djcamp10
with the tensioner off how loose should the chain be?

1977 Kz650 B1

More
02 Jul 2008 18:23 #223588 by OKC_Kent
Loose enough to sag between the cams when the cams are positioned correctly and the proper number of cam chain pins are between the cams.

Oklahoma City, OK
78 KZ650 B2 82,000+ miles

More
02 Jul 2008 18:26 #223590 by steell
Ok, I take it that you removed the cam cover, the idler that's bolted on between the cams, and at least one of the cams, and didn't retract and lock/remove the tensioner?

Here's what happened (but it's an easy fix).

When you removed the idler, the cam chain tensioner did it's job and took up the slack, and when you removed a cam, the tensioner took up all that slack that it could, then reached the limit of it's travel, which left you with a little bit of slack, with the cam removed, but not enough to get the cam back in.

Remove the tensioner from the backside of the block, then install the cams (triple check the cam timing marks, then check them three more times, it's IMPORTANT!), after the top end is assembled, manually retract the tensioner rod into the body, then lock it with the lock bolt on the side. Install the tensioner, then release the lock bolt. Check the manual for tensioner adjustment, my manual is unavailable at the moment.

KD9JUR

More
02 Jul 2008 18:55 #223600 by djcamp10
steele you had it to the "T" that's exactly how i did it i' give it another shot. i'm takin pics along the way hope to have time to post them once she's runnin again

1977 Kz650 B1