Hey guys Im new and just bought a 1980 KZ750 LTD H1

More
02 Jul 2008 12:41 #223527 by twfields79
Ok well as the subject line says I just bought a KZ 750 LTD H1 I got a great deal on it I think..... I bought it for 500 it was running but not great..... I am new to motorcycles and have never road one, soo I am a newbie all the way around..... My father in law is a mechanic for GM and has worked on motors his whole life luckily the dude I bought it from had the service manual and the haynes manual and I am in the middle of rebuilding the top end of the motor..... It had a pretty bad clanky sound while running when I purchased it and oil leaks etc..... I have read many threads about this clanky sound and I before I knew anything about it adjusted the valve which by the way were in terrable shape...... cleaned the carbs replaced needle valves, and head cover gasket..... well I got it back together and same chit..... tested compression wet and dry which revealed some pretty shitty readings thats why I am rebuilding the motor, I am going ahead and replacing all the intake valves for they are pretty worn ( bike has 35000 miles on it) and two of the exhaust valves for they were bent..... I am replacing the piston rings, the cylindars to my surprise looked awsome which I was thanking my lucky stars for that..... Anyway my only question is I have heard the lower end of these motors are drong as an ox and I was just hoping to hear from you guys that what I have heard is true????? I really dont want to get into the lower end of it because it looks like a PIA and really I dont think anything is much wrong with it at this point..... SO do you all think that I will be okay to just leave it alone????? I believe the clanky sound is just from the motor running so shitty..... Anyway glad to find you guys I have been looking at the site for about qa month now and have learned quite a bit....... and if anyone knows of a place to get a new seat cover fairly cheap let me know..... I am also planning on putting some different handlebars on it for the stock ones blow..... Other than that maybe someone has some good threads walking through polishing up covers etc.....

1978 KZ650 B2

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.