New Rider to the KZ family

More
01 Jul 2008 16:33 #223359 by specs75
New Rider to the KZ family was created by specs75
I have just purchased a 1980 KZ750 LTD-2. I am having difficulty finding information on it and was ecstatic to find this site. I was a little concerned with my purchase, but after looking at the experiences of several on this site, I am not looking forward to it. I do have several initial questions that I was hoping someone may answer and if I am in the wrong section for these questions please let me know.

1) The frame has a serial number of KZ750G######## but the motor is stamped with a serial number of KZ750BE######. Does that mean that my engine is not originally come with the bike?
2) This bike has a Vetta Windjammer SS on it, if I can I will post some pictures, but I wanted to know if that was an original offering on the bike or if it was rigged for aftermarket? I am not too fond of it and am thinking of going back to the original headlight.
3) Whenever I get up to around 5K rpm's the engine vibrates significantly. After riding at 60 mph for 15 minutes my hand and behind are numb. Is that normal for this twin engine? My last bike was a 4 cylinder, so I am wondering if I need to fix something or if that is the way it is built to be.
4) As I am riding alone, it feels like I am being dragged down, could that be the windjammer or could it be an issue with the motor?
5) When replacing the oil filter, I noticed the tube that feeds the oil to the cam shafts. At the end of that tub, in the filter cap, is an allen bold. Does that need to be adjusted to let oil into the cams or does that need to be seated firmly? If I loosen it, I get oil draining from that bolt.

I believe these are all my initial questions. I have several, but I am hoping that this will get me started. Thank you in advanced for any help and information you can provide. Let me know if you would like to see pictures of the bike, I would be interested in opinions.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Jul 2008 20:05 #223402 by davel
Replied by davel on topic New Rider to the KZ family
specs75 wrote:

3) Whenever I get up to around 5K rpm's the engine vibrates significantly. After riding at 60 mph for 15 minutes my hand and behind are numb. Is that normal for this twin engine? My last bike was a 4 cylinder, so I am wondering if I need to fix something or if that is the way it is built to be.

I owned a KZ750 twin many years ago. It was an all original low mile bike. It vibrated much more than any of the inline 4s I've ever owned. I think it's inherant in the design. Try bar end weights as a simple solution reduce the bars buzz.

More
01 Jul 2008 23:10 #223435 by donthekawguy
Replied by donthekawguy on topic New Rider to the KZ family
The motor number and vin never match on the older bikes. Also try putting some lead shot in the bars to help with the vibration.

Rathdrum Idaho
1971 Kawasaki g3ss
1972 Yamaha R5 350
1965 Suzuki Hillbilly
1964 Yamaha 125

More
02 Jul 2008 04:21 #223448 by harm
Replied by harm on topic New Rider to the KZ family
The Jammer is aftermarket. If it were me i would take it off and find a headlight and turn signals off ebay.

Tom
Holland, MI

1980 KZ550 ELR

2011 Concours14

2017 KX450 [/color]

More
02 Jul 2008 07:15 #223481 by coppertales
Replied by coppertales on topic New Rider to the KZ family
I have an 82 KZ1100 that has a Kawasaki/Vetter fairing and bags. It was a dealer installed option. The only difference between the fairings is mine says Kawasaki on it. I am not a big fan of fairings but it is nice in the winter. With the leg guards on, it is like having a heater on your bike to keep you warm....chris3

1982 KZ1100 A2
1982 1100 SPECTRE
1982 1100 SPECTRE

• Becker
  • User
  • The Doctor Will Rise Again
More
02 Jul 2008 10:28 #223507 by Becker
Replied by Becker on topic New Rider to the KZ family
I own a 78 twin and although it is kind of buzzy and vibrates its not bad enough to make my hands numb even on longer rides. These engines are built with twin counter balancers in them to take quite a bit of vibration out but it still shakes. The fairing may have been stock but either way I would probably ditch it. They do slow you down a little and suck your gas mileage down alot. This really is a decent bike though. Not stupid fast by any means but I like mine. It makes alot of torque around 3-4000 RPM's and peaks at 55 horse somewhere around 6500RPM. I hope you like it.

78 KZ750B3
79 KZ400 LTD
78 KZ650C2
79 KZ650C3
78 KZ650B2A
80 KZ650F1
80 KZ650E1
81 CB750K Super Sport