79 KZ400 charging issue

More
01 Jul 2008 04:58 #223249 by Cow Pie
79 KZ400 charging issue was created by Cow Pie
Hey Guys, I have a 79 KZ400 that has been stripped and made into a bobber. This is my problem and I'm sure someone has asked this before, but I couldn't find the same for my bike. I was ridding and my headlight went out and the engine started to cut in and out. I pulled over and the bike died, I turned my headlight off and the engine would idle, I decided to continue home but the engine would sputter all the way home. Once i got home I found that my battery was dead, no problem changed battery and found my systems not charging! My bike is only kick start now, checked for continuity on the stator wires (2 yellow) and have continuity between them, check each stator wire for direct ground to the engine and that checked good with no short. disconnected the 2 ea yellow wires and at idle checked for power and found none, increased rpm's to 4000 with same result no power. checked the resistance on the stator wires and had .4 . I'm thinking my stator is bad but I think all my checks are good except I have no power on them. Any help would be greatly appreciated. The cow pie!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Jul 2008 05:03 #223251 by Cow Pie
Replied by Cow Pie on topic 79 KZ400 charging issue
Sorry just noticed I posted in the wrong section!

More
01 Jul 2008 07:14 #223281 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic 79 KZ400 charging issue
I am sure the mods will move the thread but when you put your Pos probe on 1 yellow wire and the Neg probe on the other you got 0 VAC? Did you have the meter on AC and in the range that could measure the expected voltage?

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

More
01 Jul 2008 07:23 #223283 by Cow Pie
Replied by Cow Pie on topic 79 KZ400 charging issue
Yes I had it on AC, and had no voltage.