Friggin' Oil!!!! *Update #2 - WOOT!- *

• mark1122
  • User
  • Keep twisting it
More
03 Jul 2008 11:39 - 03 Jul 2008 11:41 #223770 by mark1122
Replied by mark1122 on topic Friggin' Oil!!!!
i have used gasket silicone and twist ties to hold the exhaust clam shells to the pipe and a little gasket silicone to hold the copper washers in. works great and just leave the twist tie in there.

76 KZ, frame gusset work,1200CC.Ported by Larry Cavanaugh, 1.5mm.over intakes, Carron Pipe, ZRX12 rear end, and seat,96zx9 front end.
01 CBR600F4i Track bike.
Cobourg, Ont. Can.

~ ~ ~_@
~ ~ _- \,
~ (k) / (z)
Last edit: 03 Jul 2008 11:41 by mark1122.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Jul 2008 12:07 #223774 by violentvintagecycles
Replied by violentvintagecycles on topic Friggin' Oil!!!!
Sandy, where did you get that schematic? On my 550 it looks like the spring and grommet go in the cup, not on top like it shows on your schematic. Anyone have any experience with this, is that right?

More
03 Jul 2008 12:25 #223780 by RonKZ650
Replied by RonKZ650 on topic Friggin' Oil!!!!
violentvintagecycles wrote:

Sandy, where did you get that schematic? On my 550 it looks like the spring and grommet go in the cup, not on top like it shows on your schematic. Anyone have any experience with this, is that right?

The J engine cup goes on top as shown, KZ550-650 and equiv go on the bottom. I doubt the cup or spring positions would have all that much effect on oil pressure though because oil sprays though holes in the oil filter bolt through the filter and into the engine. As long as the filter is anywhere on the bolt and not blocking the oil holes it should work.
The way I put the exhaust on is to put grease on the brass rings, install them in the head, scotch tape around the dual metal keeper things to hold them to the exaust pipes. Then bolt it all together. One thing you have to watch is some aftermarket rings are thicker than others. This doesn't hurt anything except for the fact the thicker ones will hold your pipe far enough out where it's difficult to center the pipes into the head.

321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.

• riverroad
  • User
  • 1980 1000LTD B4
More
03 Jul 2008 12:27 #223782 by riverroad
Replied by riverroad on topic Friggin' Oil!!!!
Gotta ditto Vetr Bob on the Wix filters. Quality built and comes with new o-rings. And Car Quest can get them for you.
About six bucks if I recall correctly.