2 questions on 81 H1 engine

More
30 Jun 2008 16:54 #223140 by dfcm2003
2 questions on 81 H1 engine was created by dfcm2003
hi all,

OK thanks to some help from this forum I finally figured out what model my engine is its a 81 H1.

Now I got a couple of problems, and would like some advice on them if possible.

1. I believe the engine is a little seized up. As I was putting the parts back on it, I tried to turn it over using the starter, and it would not move. So I used a wrench on the bolt where the points are, and it moved say 1/8 of a turn and stopped, I would move it back as well. So thinking I might of broke it loose, i tried the starter again and now it want move any. I'm thinking major overhaul? I know I would at least need a complete gasket set for this.

2. Whom ever took this engine out was in a major hurry, they broke off two of the mounting holes for the outside right exhaust. The little round looking holes are split off. So can this engine be welded on? Or could i use some of that metal putty stuff and just build a new hole and then drill and re tap?

Thanks For your time
Daryl

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Jun 2008 20:47 #223207 by agawam
Replied by agawam on topic 2 questions on 81 H1 engine
pull out the spark plugs and put some seafoam, marvel mystery, kroll or ATF oil in cylinders and let it sit for a few days, then try it again with the plugs out, they tend to seaze when they sit for a period of time and there is probably a ring of rust in the cylinder

• Becker
  • User
  • The Doctor Will Rise Again
More
01 Jul 2008 09:04 #223296 by Becker
Replied by Becker on topic 2 questions on 81 H1 engine
Unless you have experience welding aluminum then I would say no you shouldn't weld it. It can be a little tricky and probably would best be left to a professional. JB weld might work but since it is part of the exhaust port the heat cycles will probably crack it pretty quickly. Then again maybe it won't, try it and find out. JB is much cheaper then welding. For unseizing the engine use any of the oils suggest earllier and let it sit. Then use a 17 mm wrench on the crank shaft and try and turn it over. If you already got it to move an 1/8 of a turn then you probably don't need to rebuild it. Good luck. And post lots of pics when you get it all together.

78 KZ750B3
79 KZ400 LTD
78 KZ650C2
79 KZ650C3
78 KZ650B2A
80 KZ650F1
80 KZ650E1
81 CB750K Super Sport