Tool Help Needed

More
29 Jun 2008 11:19 #222844 by Ilbikes
Tool Help Needed was created by Ilbikes
I would like to ask a favor from one of you having the Kawasaki factory Z1/KZ900 piston ring compressor tool set.

The two wire rods that slide under the pistons from each side are there to prevent the pistons from moving and keeps them all equal in height. Are these perfectly round, oval, or flat? From photos they look round.

Lastly, what is their thickness/height (diameter if round)?

I just tried using my Motion Pro ring compressor tools and clothes hanger wire, but the soft wire deformed while the cylinders were being fitted and I torn my new base gasket upon removal of of those same poorly designed and home-made "clothes hanger piston stoppers". I need to visit the welding supply store and buy me some tig wire near the same diameter. Your input will be much appreciated.

I've looked for weeks for the right tool, but the cheapest one has exceeded $250 plus shipping on EBay. I need it one time and while I like tools, this is more than I can justify.

Thanks again,
Gordon

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Jun 2008 11:58 #222852 by steell
Replied by steell on topic Tool Help Needed
Instead of using wire, you might try a piece of drill rod of the needed diameter, fairly cheap at MSC, Enco, J&L tool, Wholesale tool, etc.

KD9JUR

More
29 Jun 2008 14:30 #222878 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic Tool Help Needed
Ilbikes wrote:

I would like to ask a favor from one of you having the Kawasaki factory Z1/KZ900 piston ring compressor tool set.

The two wire rods that slide under the pistons from each side are there to prevent the pistons from moving and keeps them all equal in height. Are these perfectly round, oval, or flat? From photos they look round.

Lastly, what is their thickness/height (diameter if round)?

I just tried using my Motion Pro ring compressor tools and clothes hanger wire, but the soft wire deformed while the cylinders were being fitted and I torn my new base gasket upon removal of of those same poorly designed and home-made "clothes hanger piston stoppers". I need to visit the welding supply store and buy me some tig wire near the same diameter. Your input will be much appreciated.

I've looked for weeks for the right tool, but the cheapest one has exceeded $250 plus shipping on EBay. I need it one time and while I like tools, this is more than I can justify.

Thanks again,
Gordon

If you mean props to go under the pistons while installing the cylinder: I made mine out of some small paint stir sticks I got from home depot. I cut them to the length I needed, stacked a few up and duct taped them into a block. Make as many as you need. Worked for me.

1979 KZ-750 Twin

More
29 Jun 2008 14:33 #222880 by bountyhunter
Ilbikes wrote:

I torn my new base gasket upon removal of of those same poorly designed and home-made "clothes hanger piston stoppers".

Save it to use as a pattern. Make a new one out of the gasket material at Pep Boys. 1/32", rubberized fiber material. That's what I used for the base gasket on my engine and it worked perfectly,.

1979 KZ-750 Twin

More
29 Jun 2008 14:40 - 29 Jun 2008 14:42 #222881 by bountyhunter
FYI: the posts about assembling four hole engines tend to favor this method (it only requires two ring compressors):

Install the middle pistons into the cylinder first: the piston heights are not all the same when doing this (the middle ones are a little higher). Prop the middle pistons from underneath, get them started into the cylinder (rings in) by tapping the cylinder down gently.

Then, rotate the crankshaft JUST ENOUGH to raise the outer pistons until they are far enough up to get a prop under them. apply the ring compressors to the outer pistons and tap the cylinder down so all four are in.

An assistant is very helpful to wrangle the pistons as the cylinder is tapped down.

1979 KZ-750 Twin
Last edit: 29 Jun 2008 14:42 by bountyhunter.