78kz750be head gasket leak

More
29 Jun 2008 11:17 #222843 by rctigers
78kz750be head gasket leak was created by rctigers
Yeah, I road my bike to church and back and when I got home
I found out I had some smoke coming from the front of the motor. After looking at it more closely, I figured there was must be some oil leakage coming from the head gasket. This is right about where the exaust pipes attach. I don't know if I should keep riding it like this until I get it fixed? I read one of the other treads with pics of a member
tearing his 750 4cyl down to the cylinder head. I don't know
if should attempt this or not. I am worried about messing up the timing. Not sure if the cam and valves would have to be set before rebuild. I am pretty good at simple mechanical problems but have never tore an
engine down. Anyone got any advice. Just got the bike about a month ago and was about ready to start using it as a daily ride.Hope to have some images uploaded soon.
Thanks, Randy:(

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Jun 2008 12:02 #222853 by steell
Replied by steell on topic 78kz750be head gasket leak
If it's smoking because of oil dripping on the right side exhaust, then all you need to do is replace the tach cable seal. It's probably leaking where the tach cable screws into the head, that's real common on the 750 twins, and a easy fix.

KD9JUR

More
29 Jun 2008 13:30 #222865 by rctigers
Replied by rctigers on topic 78kz750be head gasket leak
checked the tach cable, no leak there.

More
29 Jun 2008 14:21 - 29 Jun 2008 14:25 #222876 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic 78kz750be head gasket leak
rctigers wrote:

Yeah, I road my bike to church and back and when I got home
I found out I had some smoke coming from the front of the motor. After looking at it more closely, I figured there was must be some oil leakage coming from the head gasket. (

I have a '79 750B4 and has always seeped a little oil along the head gasket, worst at the front by the exhaust pipes. When riding, wind pushes it backwards where it can drop downward on the engine and pipes. On mine, there is a 10mm bolt going upwards into the head right in the front center below the head that is supposed to keep the leakage to a minimum. Tighten it to 100 inch-pounds or hand tight. Also, the head bolts may need retorquing (360 inch-pounds).

1979 KZ-750 Twin
Last edit: 29 Jun 2008 14:25 by bountyhunter.