What have I done?!?!

• Scatdrat
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Constructing Scat Rat out of a 78 650D SR
More
29 Jun 2008 06:37 #222781 by Scatdrat
What have I done?!?! was created by Scatdrat
Alright, I just finished the complete teardown and rebuild of my 78 KZ650 D1A SR. Way too much work to list. Finally figured out my petcock way stuck and.... vvvrrrrooooommm!! On the first hint of a crank, she fired up. No smoke (at first), no sputter. She sounds GREAT! Here is the issue. Stuck in first gear, neutral light on... release clutch, she drives... in first with N light on. The slightest up shift to hopefully find neutral, lands me right into 2nd and locks up... clutch in to keep from stalling, I can up shift and feel 3rd, 4th, and 5th. and back down until I hit 1st and N light comes on, clutch out, she drives on. OK, so this brings me to the subject title here...

WHAT HAVE I DONE?!?!

Scat D Rat
'78 KZ650 D1A SR

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Jun 2008 07:04 #222787 by steell
Replied by steell on topic What have I done?!?!
Assuming I understand what you wrote (I'm kind of slow this morning), you're saying the transmission locks up in any gear but first? Or just in second?

I've been sitting here reviewing the trans assembly in my head for the last few minutes, and the only way I can see this happening is if the shift fork that moves first gear is either not moving, or out of place. That leaves the trans always in first gear, and when you shift to another gear it puts the trans in two gears at once, locking it up.

So, either you made a mistake when assembling the trans, or I totally misunderstood what you wrote :)

KD9JUR

• Scatdrat
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
29 Jun 2008 07:56 #222799 by Scatdrat
Replied by Scatdrat on topic What have I done?!?!
You understood correctly and what you say makes perfect sense. I did not take notice as to exactly which groove each fork came out of and went back in to, dumb mistake looking back. Considering I hit that "wall" 2 or 3 times while moving, what are the chances that I bent/damaged that fork? Maybe I should order a new one before I go back in there.

Scat D Rat
'78 KZ650 D1A SR

More
29 Jun 2008 09:27 #222820 by steell
Replied by steell on topic What have I done?!?!
Where are you located? I'm fairly certain I have a set of 750 four shift forks laying around that I'm not going to use, and I'm pretty sure they're the same, but check kawasaki.com parts diagrams to see if 83 GPz750 forks are the same as yours.

KD9JUR

• Scatdrat
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
29 Jun 2008 18:19 #222924 by Scatdrat
Replied by Scatdrat on topic Locked up trans... Re:What have I done?!?!
Has anyone ever had this happen to them? If so, what was wrong and what was the damage?

Scat D Rat
'78 KZ650 D1A SR

More
29 Jun 2008 21:08 #222974 by steell
Replied by steell on topic Locked up trans... Re:What have I done?!?!
More than likely there won't be any damage :)

The best answer I can come up with is that when you assembled the trans you got the low shifter fork outside low gear, that would disengage the shift fork from the shift drum, thus letting you shift into other gears and lock the trans up.

The key question is, did you test the trans for proper operation before you assembled the cases?

KD9JUR