clutch basket ???

• Tower_Monkey1
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
07 Feb 2006 17:17 #22260 by Tower_Monkey1
clutch basket ??? was created by Tower_Monkey1
I put my clutch plates and springs in today. Then I started moving the clutch basket forward and back, man there is alot of play in the basket. I can rock it forward and back at least a quarter inch in each direction without the rear gear moving . Are the springs in the back of the basket worn out ? Or what else could this play be contributed to ? I did check the nut under the face plate and it is tight. Im thinking a new clutch basket, what do you guys think ? Thanks Wayne

78 KZ650C2 Dyna ignition and coils,Pod filters,4-1 Kerker,CBR Tail Light,Drilled front dics,Custom front fender,1/4 fairing.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Feb 2006 18:09 #22274 by RonKZ650
Replied by RonKZ650 on topic clutch basket ???
You'll always have whatever play the tabs in your fiber clutch plates allow. Kind of hard to explain without a picture to illustrate, but the basic way the clutch works is the fiber plates dogs are always engaged with the outer basket, the steel plates inner teeth are always engaged with the inner drum. Spring pressure connects the two together to lock the clutch. Whatever natural play the dogs have to the basket and the plates have to the hub can be felt when you try to rotate the inner drum. Of course the more wear in the dogs, mating surface of the basket, the metal plates teeth and their respective teeth on the inner drum will make for more play. The springs, release mech, adjustment of the clutch ect, does not have any effect on the play. If I'm understanding you correctly you are talking about the rotational play? If your talking about the entire basket being loose on the engine, that's another story. Should be no in/out play.

321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nathanb

More
07 Feb 2006 18:19 #22280 by RomSpaceKnight
Replied by RomSpaceKnight on topic clutch basket ???
I agree with Ron. It's normal. Check your outer basket for abnormal wear though to be safe. This is why you hear about dry clutches on Ducatis making such a racket, I think. I wonder if Harley's with belt primary drive conversion kits make noise too?

• Tower_Monkey1
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
07 Feb 2006 18:32 #22287 by Tower_Monkey1
Replied by Tower_Monkey1 on topic clutch basket ???
Maybe I wasent clear with my discription here, I ment the outer basket has play. Not the inner basket with the fiber and steel plates. When I rock the outer basket back and forth it seems to move about a quarter inch before the large teeth on the back of the outer basket moves. Does that make any more sense ? I also looked at buykawasaki.com and the outer basket does not have springs on the back of it, like my H-1 does. Wayne

Post edited by: Tower_Monkey1, at: 2006/02/07 21:34

78 KZ650C2 Dyna ignition and coils,Pod filters,4-1 Kerker,CBR Tail Light,Drilled front dics,Custom front fender,1/4 fairing.

More
08 Feb 2006 05:14 #22387 by btchalice
Replied by btchalice on topic clutch basket ???
maybe the gear dogs in the tranny?

Terry Meyer / Wichita KS
76 kz900 w/1000 motor TWZTD
I am not driving too fast, I'm flying too low.

More
08 Feb 2006 06:58 #22411 by RonKZ650
Replied by RonKZ650 on topic clutch basket ???
I think when you turn the outer basket any play in your hyvo chain primary drive can be felt. This would be normal. Been a while since I've had to fool with the clutch on any on mine.

321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.

More
28 Nov 2020 13:09 #839130 by Nathanb
Replied by Nathanb on topic clutch basket ???
My basket is also loose about a quarter inch each way and I have tried to get the clutch working like eight times by the little activator arm still nothing. So is it normal for the basket to turn back and forth I thought I found my problem please let me know. 1982 tpz 550 h1