change oil filter on 78 kz750b?

More
26 Jun 2008 18:51 #222404 by rctigers
change oil filter on 78 kz750b? was created by rctigers
I bought this 1978 kz750b a couple of weeks ago. I want to change the oil and filter. It sees from what I've read that the oil filter is internal and you must remove an engine cover from the left side. That as much as I've been able to fing out. Any information would be appreciated.
I am new to this forum. Located near Atlanta, Georgia.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Jun 2008 19:24 - 26 Jun 2008 19:27 #222418 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic change oil filter on 78 kz750b?
PUT ON CENTER STAND AND DRAIN OIL FIRST (from the oil pan)....

1) take off the left foot peg, 13 or 14mm socket as I recall.

2) take off the shift lever (mark where it goes so you get it back on the same place) remove the bolt using a 10mm wrench. Pry the lever GENTLY straight away from the cover, don't twist it up and down.

3) take off the four left engine side cover bolts (10 mm).

4) Use a large flat blade screwdriver to GENTLY pry the cover in the vicinity of the shifter shaft until it slides free over the shaft. Pull cover off and set on the ground, leave the clutch cable alone.

5) Take a small piece of paper towel and securely plug the hole where the wires come out just below the drain plug (to keep oil from running in there).

6) Put a drain pan under it and remove the drain plug from the oil filter cover... and hardly any oil will come out.

7) Slowly loosen the large center bolt on the cover and the oil will run out.

8) Take the large center bolt out and the filter and oil filter cover come off together.

9) Don't lose the flat washer that goes on the shaft of the pump bolt.

10) Be careful of the O rings in the cover.

1979 KZ-750 Twin
Last edit: 26 Jun 2008 19:27 by bountyhunter.

More
26 Jun 2008 19:26 #222419 by rctigers
Replied by rctigers on topic change oil filter on 78 kz750b?
Thanks for the info. RC

More
26 Jun 2008 19:26 - 26 Jun 2008 19:34 #222420 by steell
Replied by steell on topic change oil filter on 78 kz750b?
A manual comes in real handy :)

Remove the following:

Left foot peg
Gear shifter
Sprocket cover (the one behind the gear shifter).
Small plug beneath the oil filter bolt (be a good idea to have a pan under it to catch the oil)
Oil filter cover bolt

Insure the oil filter spring is there, and don't forget to put it back.

Z1 Enterprises is a good place to order oil filters (and pretty much everything else, except tires).

Grease the swingarm pivot, the grease fitting is on top of the swingarm pivot behind a frame rail on the right side.

Edit:
No replies when I start typing, and by the time I'm done typing the question has already been answered. :laugh:

Pry on that cover with a screwdriver and I'll slap your knuckles with a wrench. There's no reason that I have ever found to pry on it with anything, just slide your finger behind the right side and wiggle it till it comes lose.

13mm nuts on the footpegs, and since yours are all rusty and dented, Z1 Enterprises will sell you new ones. And get some new footpeg damper rubbers while you're there, your's are dry rotted and falling apart :laugh:

KD9JUR
Last edit: 26 Jun 2008 19:34 by steell.