Engine tear down: What would you replace?

More
25 Jun 2008 04:26 #222018 by LeeLewis7
Aside from any parts that are out of spec, what would you replace as a precaution? Valves? Cam chain? Crankshaft end bearings?

Chattanooga, TN
1984 KZ1000 P3 (Blue Shift)
kzrider.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&...8353&catid=11#218353

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Jun 2008 05:59 #222032 by donthekawguy
Replied by donthekawguy on topic Engine tear down: What would you replace?
You should go with cam chain, cam chain gears and guides, all seals and bearings. I would also go with the extra money to toughen up the bottom end like welded crank, APE studs, main cap support, back cut tranny and so on. If you have the bottom end apart and do the upgrades you can always go bigger later when you get bored with it.

Rathdrum Idaho
1971 Kawasaki g3ss
1972 Yamaha R5 350
1965 Suzuki Hillbilly
1964 Yamaha 125

More
25 Jun 2008 11:04 #222088 by Makarth
Replied by Makarth on topic Engine tear down: What would you replace?
donthekawguy wrote:

You should go with cam chain, cam chain gears and guides, all seals and bearings. I would also go with the extra money to toughen up the bottom end like welded crank, APE studs, main cap support, back cut tranny and so on. If you have the bottom end apart and do the upgrades you can always go bigger later when you get bored with it.

ditto

1977 kz1000 - Megasquirt project @ 40% wiring, plenum, and exhaust<--(done!)

More
25 Jun 2008 11:23 #222091 by racer54
Replied by racer54 on topic Engine tear down: What would you replace?
What are you planning on doing with the bike? Racing it? Just a daily driver? Makes a difference as to how much should be done and/or needs to be done. If you are planning on racing the bike or seeing how fast the tach can move on a regular basis, then all the stuff mentioned is a very good idea. If you are just planning on a daily driver, then some of the work and parts, although they wouldn't be a bad idea, aren't really necessary. Consider the studs, crank cap, back-cut tranny, welded crank as over-build on a daily driver but good insurance if you can afford to do it. Personally, I would either way if possible, just for peace of mind. Absolutely do it if you plan on rotating the earth from time to time, but optional on a daily driver. Have the head freshened up with springs, guides and seals. Have the clutch taken apart and inspected. Have the steels and fibers cleaned up and deglazed. Springs will probably be ok but they can be changed if weak. Cam bearings should be fine also but have a look. They last forever for the most part. If plans call for a bigger motor later, do the bottom end work now while it's apart. If not, it's a judgement call only you can make for your situation. I, myself, like to over-build my stuff...for possible future upgrades and also for the added insurance against normal stress of operation.

1980 LTD (changed over the years), 1979 LTD (being rebuilt), 1977 KZ turbo and various KZ's in various states of build. KLX110

More
25 Jun 2008 12:00 #222109 by coppertales
Replied by coppertales on topic Engine tear down: What would you replace?
Good info posted above. At least the cam chain and valve stem seals. How many miles on the bike? Is it a daily rider or do you lead foot it? On my last top end job I was lazy and did not want to pull the engine to change the cam chain. However, it measured well within specs. Pulling a shaftie out of the frame is a PITA....chris3

1982 KZ1100 A2
1982 1100 SPECTRE
1982 1100 SPECTRE

More
25 Jun 2008 12:53 #222118 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic Engine tear down: What would you replace?
LeeLewis7 wrote:

Aside from any parts that are out of spec, what would you replace as a precaution? Valves? Cam chain? Crankshaft end bearings?

Depends how many miles are on it and how long you want to ride it.

1979 KZ-750 Twin

More
25 Jun 2008 16:22 #222154 by LeeLewis7
Replied by LeeLewis7 on topic Engine tear down: What would you replace?
The engine is out of a '84 KZP w/ 39k miles before tear down. Someone's been in the engine before, if that matters. I'd guess it was whoever did maintenance for the Atlanta PD fleet.

I originally intended for it to be a touring and weekend bike, but with gas prices rising it'll probably see use as a commuter. Whatever miles it does see, they'll be conservatively ridden. For Earth rotation duty, I've my eye out for a mint '93 VMax I'd like to pick up one day.

I don't intend to ever race it, and budget is limited, so welding up the crank, back-cut tranny, etc. seems a bit much for the intended use, though I can see the advantages.

Thanks for the input so far. Great info! Please keep it coming.

Chattanooga, TN
1984 KZ1000 P3 (Blue Shift)
kzrider.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&...8353&catid=11#218353

More
25 Jun 2008 17:58 #222172 by RonKZ650
Replied by RonKZ650 on topic Engine tear down: What would you replace?
If it was me and it's running good I wouldn't replace anything. I know "preventive maintenence". My preventive maintenence has always been replace something only after it's worn out, and as strange and out in left field that sounds, that has always worked for me.

321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.

More
25 Jun 2008 20:42 #222211 by PLUMMEN
Replied by PLUMMEN on topic Engine tear down: What would you replace?
racer54 wrote:

What are you planning on doing with the bike? Racing it? Just a daily driver? Makes a difference as to how much should be done and/or needs to be done. If you are planning on racing the bike or seeing how fast the tach can move on a regular basis, then all the stuff mentioned is a very good idea. If you are just planning on a daily driver, then some of the work and parts, although they wouldn't be a bad idea, aren't really necessary. Consider the studs, crank cap, back-cut tranny, welded crank as over-build on a daily driver but good insurance if you can afford to do it. Personally, I would either way if possible, just for peace of mind. Absolutely do it if you plan on rotating the earth from time to time, but optional on a daily driver. Have the head freshened up with springs, guides and seals. Have the clutch taken apart and inspected. Have the steels and fibers cleaned up and deglazed. Springs will probably be ok but they can be changed if weak. Cam bearings should be fine also but have a look. They last forever for the most part. If plans call for a bigger motor later, do the bottom end work now while it's apart. If not, it's a judgement call only you can make for your situation. I, myself, like to over-build my stuff...for possible future upgrades and also for the added insurance against normal stress of operation.

ditto B)

Still recovering,some days are better than others.