Questions after starter clutch repair!

More
24 Jun 2008 12:30 #221895 by mattylight
Questions after starter clutch repair! was created by mattylight
So I have a 1980 KZ750H that I have been doing a lot of work on...

I just finished repairing the starter clutch. 2/3 of the springs were badly worn, so I put all new parts in there. Now the bike is kicking over wonderfully and starts up first try! A big relief. But now that the bike is running again I have some new issues (imagine that). When the RPMs are really low prolly <750 I have a strange clunking sound from the lower front of the transmission/bottom of the engine. I'm pretty sure that I put the secondary shaft in properly, and tightened it down, but now I'm not so sure. That clunking is only at very low RPM. Does anyone have a tourque spec for the nut on the end of the secondary shaft, under the left side bearing cap? Could that be it?

Next.

The cam covers seem quite hot, and I have a lot of valve/cam "ticking" at the head. It is very loud, and I'm somewhat worried that the oil isn't getting up there properly. The engine seems to run fine with lots of power, but that ticking (mainly from the right side valves/cams) is worrysome, anyone have any feedback about valve cover temperatures or loud "ticking" type sounds from the head?

The bike is close, but I don't want to have done all this work for nothing if I destroy the engine somehow!! Thanks for all your help thus far!

Matt

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Jun 2008 12:54 #221899 by kawsakiman
Replied by kawsakiman on topic Questions after starter clutch repair!
low rpm klunk is most likely the primary chain.
typical of the middleweights.

ticking could be the valves out of adjustment.

someday i will be able to afford my kz habit.

More
24 Jun 2008 18:44 #221956 by mattylight
Replied by mattylight on topic Questions after starter clutch repair!
so I shouldn't worry about the low RPM clunk, and adjust the valves...gotcha.

Any way to tell how much oil is getting up to the head? Also anyone have any idea where to get torque specs? and lastly what about the temperature of the cam covers?
Thanks Kawsakiman.
Matt

More
25 Jun 2008 08:33 #222061 by coppertales
Replied by coppertales on topic Questions after starter clutch repair!
If you want an adventure, remove the cam cover and start the engine. The term high volume oil flow is a bit on the conservative side. Took me all day to clean up the mess. I just wanted to know what high volume/low pressure was. All three of my bikes tick in the valve shim area. All three are set at 4-6 thou. The cam chains all measure well within specs according to the factory manual. I just live with the noise. I run Mobil 1 in my bikes because it handles the heat better, Texas summers....chris3

1982 KZ1100 A2
1982 1100 SPECTRE
1982 1100 SPECTRE

More
25 Jun 2008 10:59 #222087 by mattylight
Replied by mattylight on topic Questions after starter clutch repair!
lol, that sounds like a heck of a mess...

More
25 Jun 2008 12:04 #222111 by coppertales
Replied by coppertales on topic Questions after starter clutch repair!
All the torque specs are listed in the manual. You DO have one of those don't you.....Use an inch pound torque wrench. They are more accurate because of the finer scale. chris3

1982 KZ1100 A2
1982 1100 SPECTRE
1982 1100 SPECTRE

More
26 Jun 2008 22:59 #222461 by apeman
Replied by apeman on topic Questions after starter clutch repair!
One problem I see is that you are letting the engine idle at way too slow a speed. I have mine at about 1100-1200 rpm.
/

Petaluma and Truckee, CA -- member since Jan. 23, 2003;
PREVIOUS KZs: 1980 KZ750H with 108,000 miles; 1980 KZ750E with 28,000 miles; and KZ750H street/cafe project, all sold a few years back.

This is what I do for fun, not for work. It is art, with a little engineering thrown in.