clutch engagement?

More
23 Jun 2008 14:39 #221727 by grinch77
clutch engagement? was created by grinch77
I rerouted my clutch cable and now I can't get the shifter to up shift.I can go to first and back to neutral but I can't up shift after neutral.There are no kinks or tight bends in the cable I have also tried adjusting the cable slack and tension at the shit lever so I'm kind of stumped here.Any one has any ideas of what I can try?

1978 KZ650\'82 KZ750 motor
1991 SE-R
Coweta,OK

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Jun 2008 16:16 #221744 by Locozuna
Replied by Locozuna on topic clutch engagement?
You didn't say.... but you know you have to be moving to shift into 2nd or up right? You can't do it sitting still.

KZ900LTD, KZ750LTD, KZ650, 72'Triumph Trident
"Over the Mountains
Of the Moon,
Down the Valley of the Shadow,
Ride, boldly ride,"
The shade replied
"If you seek for Eldorado!"

• oKZygenetic
  • Visitor
04 Jul 2008 13:12 #224025 by oKZygenetic
Replied by oKZygenetic on topic clutch engagement?
Did you ever figure out your problem? I have the same issue only when I crank the bike in first, it jumps...clutch is engaged

• RetroRiceRocketRider
  • User
  • ...bring in the machine that goes PING!
More
04 Jul 2008 14:01 #224035 by RetroRiceRocketRider
Replied by RetroRiceRocketRider on topic clutch engagement?
oKZygenetic wrote:

Did you ever figure out your problem? I have the same issue only when I crank the bike in first, it jumps...clutch is engaged

It sounds like you have your clutch cable adjusted to tight, and/or your RPM's at idle are to high. There should be (+/-) 1/8" play in the lever when pulling it towards the grip before it has any effect on the clutch.
FWIW, the idle on most (stock engined) KZ models should be about 1,100~1,200 RPM's.

There's also the possible issue of brand/weight of oil being used and how long it's been since it and the filter were changed, and if the bike is being put into gear before the engine has had time to warm up enough.
But even with the idle set at the proper RPM's and clutch cable adjusted properly, the bike still might "jump" slightly when put into gear.
My 650 does this once in a while, even after warmed up.

Covina, So Calif!
78 KZ650-B2 = SOLD
84 ZN700 LTD = SOLD
84 ZX750 GPz = SOLD
89 GSX1100F Katana = SLEEPING :-/
20 VN1700 Vulcan Vaquero (the Blue Cowboy)
Looking for my next project KZ

• oKZygenetic
  • Visitor
04 Jul 2008 15:50 #224057 by oKZygenetic
I do think my idle is high. I think it's set at about 1600 RPMs. I'll check the oil too. I can't get the correct amount of play at the lever though...I guess it's trial and error?

• oKZygenetic
  • Visitor
05 Jul 2008 15:26 #224276 by oKZygenetic
RetroRiceRocketRider wrote:

oKZygenetic wrote:

It sounds like you have your clutch cable adjusted to tight, and/or your RPM's at idle are to high. There should be (+/-) 1/8" play in the lever when pulling it towards the grip before it has any effect on the clutch.
FWIW, the idle on most (stock engined) KZ models should be about 1,100~1,200 RPM's.

There's also the possible issue of brand/weight of oil being used and how long it's been since it and the filter were changed, and if the bike is being put into gear before the engine has had time to warm up enough.
But even with the idle set at the proper RPM's and clutch cable adjusted properly, the bike still might "jump" slightly when put into gear.
My 650 does this once in a while, even after warmed up.

Thanks for your help, Retro.You got me out of a bind! Got it working...I think...
Posted update here:

kzrider.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&...ew&id=223629&catid=2