Not starting afterputting engine back together

• letthegoodtimesroll
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
22 Jun 2008 14:54 #221538 by letthegoodtimesroll
Not starting afterputting engine back together was created by letthegoodtimesroll
I put my engine back together yesterday and followed the directions in the kawasaki manual and it won't start? I lined up the "T" mark on cylinders 1&4, exhaust cam T arrow lined up pointing forward, intake T arrow lined up facing to the rear and 36 pins in between. Could I be out by 180*? Thanks in advance.

1977 KZ650C1, Kerker Header, Dyna ignition and coils, GPZ 750 oil pan and cooler

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Jun 2008 15:21 #221546 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic Not starting afterputting engine back together
On mine, it's impossible to get the camshaft alignment 180 out (as long as they are aligned properly to either TDC point) but it's definitely possible to get the ignition timing 180 off by flipping the cam that drives the points on the crankshaft around.

1979 KZ-750 Twin

More
22 Jun 2008 19:26 #221584 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic Not starting afterputting engine back together
Did you do anything with the ignition while the engine was out? Do you perhaps have spark? What does the bike do when you turn it over? Are you sure the cylinders are getting gas? Did you check for compression?

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

More
23 Jun 2008 11:41 #221692 by coppertales
Replied by coppertales on topic Not starting afterputting engine back together
Did you open you fuel tank petcock and fill your float bowls first? Been there done that. Are your spark plugs wet or dry, indicating juice, both kinds to the plugs. Pull a spark plug and turn over the engine and see if there is any compression.....chris3

1982 KZ1100 A2
1982 1100 SPECTRE
1982 1100 SPECTRE

• letthegoodtimesroll
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
23 Jun 2008 12:37 #221704 by letthegoodtimesroll
Replied by letthegoodtimesroll on topic Not starting afterputting engine back together
I found my problem, I had my ground wire to the WG coil mod hooked to pos:blush: I guess I'm getting old and my memory isn't what it used to be. Switched it around and she fired right up:)

1977 KZ650C1, Kerker Header, Dyna ignition and coils, GPZ 750 oil pan and cooler

More
23 Jun 2008 22:05 #221789 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic Not starting afterputting engine back together
Good lesson to be learned... we all want multi-task when we work on a bike... do an engine rebuild and ignition upgrade would be the type of multi-tasking I refer to. Best to do ONE thing at a time so that when there is a problem, it will be easier to pinpoint. Anyway, all is well that ends well.

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!