Blue Chrome Exhaust solutions

• bubbap
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Ride it like you stole it!
More
21 Jun 2008 10:31 #221363 by bubbap
Blue Chrome Exhaust solutions was created by bubbap
Many bikers see there pipes turn blue due to the amount of heat moving through the exhaust. My question is what are some good ways to get rid of the blue. Some people like it, others its a matter of getting your bike tuned right and not worrying about the blue. But for me breaking in a rebuilt head and getting the tuning and timing set they are starting to blue.
I have talked to a few hotrod guys and bikers, it seams everyone has something different. One guy told me to take white flower and rub the pipes (not sure if I will do that one).
Lets hear your methods.

1979 KZ650, Mac 4-2 exhaust. Restored after 25 years of sitting. Dyna elec coils, ignition. As old as I am, been in the family since new.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Jun 2008 11:02 #221365 by shanecrow99
Replied by shanecrow99 on topic Blue Chrome Exhaust solutions
You could always have the header and pipes powder coated. You'll never see blue again. Well, you'll never see the chrome again either. :laugh:

• PFC FNG
  • User
  • I've got the sickness!!!
More
21 Jun 2008 11:53 #221376 by PFC FNG
Replied by PFC FNG on topic Blue Chrome Exhaust solutions
Some of my friends use this stuff. It looks to me like it works alright, but I never used the stuff personally. (black exhaust:P )

I know it would not be any fun if it was easy, but does it have to be this much fun?
84 ZX750 GPZ (Waiting for paint)
Eastpoint, Mi

More
21 Jun 2008 19:31 - 04 Dec 2008 07:02 #221420 by JMKZHI
Replied by JMKZHI on topic .
del
Last edit: 04 Dec 2008 07:02 by JMKZHI.

More
23 Jun 2008 07:20 - 23 Jun 2008 11:35 #221658 by patmann
Replied by patmann on topic Blue Chrome Exhaust solutions
I have used Blue-Job or maybe it was Blue-Away, I'd have to look... Anyway I had pretty good luck with it.
Others claim it's snake oil. I guess it depends on how bad your pipes are when you use it, and what you expect from it.
I didn't expect it to turn 30 year old pipes into new ones, so I was happy with the job it did.
Another option, they make stuff to coat the INSIDE of your pipes. But do it prior to running them or ruining them.
Pat

1974 900 Z1 modified to look like a LTD , some engine mods. But I still have all the original parts.
1977 1000 project bike
1972 H1 project bike
If pro is opposite of con, then what is the opposite of progress?
Last edit: 23 Jun 2008 11:35 by patmann.

More
23 Jun 2008 10:20 #221683 by RonKZ650
Replied by RonKZ650 on topic Blue Chrome Exhaust solutions
I used something called Blue Away. Probably the same idea as Blue Job. I bought the KZ1000ST and the pipes were pretty blue up by the head. Virtually all of it came off using Blue Away, however it's not a 5 minute job. I probably spent an hour on each pipe. You'd never know they were ever blue now. The chrome kind of takes a beating when you rub on it for an hour though, so it won't ever be as shiney as new again, but looks 95% anyway.

321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.

More
23 Jun 2008 11:05 #221687 by steell
Replied by steell on topic Blue Chrome Exhaust solutions
Long time ago when I lived in the UK and rode Nortons/Triumphs/BSA's, we used to pack the new header pipes with grease prior to installing them to keep them from bluing. Smoked like crazy when they were first started, but the pipes never blued :D

I think maybe the heat carbonized the grease on the walls of the pipes and kept them from getting to hot and bluing.

KD9JUR

More
23 Jun 2008 11:44 #221694 by coppertales
Replied by coppertales on topic Blue Chrome Exhaust solutions
Live with it......if you remove the blue, you are removing a layer of chrome from the pipes. Sooner or later you will remove all the chrome and they will rust. Mixture is a bit lean, aka hot. My 82 KZ1100 has 42 thousand miles and not a hint of blue on the pipes....chris3

1982 KZ1100 A2
1982 1100 SPECTRE
1982 1100 SPECTRE