Can I get a replacement baffle for stock exhaust--KZ1000-B2?

• Skyman
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 1978 KZ1000-B2 LTD 1982 KZ1000-M2 CSR
More
14 Jun 2008 22:24 #220091 by Skyman
Finally got some great weather in Oregon today. I had a GREAT ride up into the mountains (until the road was blocked by snow! :blink: )

Anyhow, as I was riding, the bike started souning louder than usual. At one point, I stopped and noticed that my right exhaust baffle had come completely loose and was just barely hanging on inside the exhaust. I was able to pull it right out.

I continued to ride, and frankly, REALLY liked the new sound. :woohoo:

But it's probably too loud, and I should really do something about it. Probably not a good idea to run it with just one side open, huh?

I really don't want to replace the stock exhaust, at least not now. So my question is this. Does anyone make a replacement baffle that will fit stock pipes without a lot of work to make it fit?

I did some looking around and saw this:

www.bikebandit.com/product/A3200206

Can't really tell if it is meant to fit into a stock exhaust, or only into a V&H pipe. Anyone know for sure?

Any other sources? Thanks.

West Linn, OR

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Jun 2008 22:47 #220094 by Virii
If you feel like it, you could make your own baffle. Consider how much backpressure you need for your setup and what kind of sound you want and the rest is pretty easy. Some piling, a drillbit, gas torch and some fiberglas from Home Depot and you're in business.

I love the sound from my KZ650 and it provides the same aerodynamic properties the "stock aftermarket" baffle did. It's essentially a long, capped, pipe perforated with 1/4 inch holes and wrapped in a dense cored fiberglas tube and some stripped wire.

Tess: 1977 KZ650-C1. VM24, 97.5/15/3rd. Dyna-S. Stock exhaust, coil mod performed, BR7EIX.

Angel: 1982 GPz550. Stock. DR8EIX.

More
15 Jun 2008 04:26 - 15 Jun 2008 04:37 #220118 by Mcdroid
Hard to say...I can't get a picture from your link (but I do get the link). However, the manufacturer of your original pipes was Jardine, while V&H never made OEM pipes. The Kawasaki parts diagrams do not indicate that the baffle was available separately, so the mufflers (with baffle) were sold as a unit. All this suggests you should be looking for a Jardine replacement, not a V&H...but I've been wrong before and will be wrong again.:) Or, re-wrap your old one and pound it back into the pipe.

Michael
Victoria, Texas

1982 GPz750
1977 KZ1000A
1978 KZ1000A
1982 GPz1100
1975 Z2A

Last edit: 15 Jun 2008 04:37 by Mcdroid.