Top-end apart. Severe carbon build-up normal?

More
13 Jun 2008 19:19 #219903 by LeeLewis7
I'm trying to keep my project thread up to date with pics and didn't think I should double post them here, so apologies for the redirect.

I'd appreciate hearing what you guys think of the pictures of the cylinders and head I just posted on my project thread (Link in my sig below).

Is this amount of carbon build up normal? This is my first engine rebuild so I'm not sure what to expect. The engine is out of a KZP w/ 39k miles on it, and it was stored for 15 years before being resurrected a couple years ago. Less than a 1000 miles on it since then and before engine tear down. I don't have the exact figures at hand, but the compression numbers varied widely with and without oil.

Any and all input appreciated!

Chattanooga, TN
1984 KZ1000 P3 (Blue Shift)
kzrider.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&...8353&catid=11#218353

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Jun 2008 19:49 #219907 by winston rothchild
Replied by winston rothchild on topic Top-end apart. Severe carbon build-up normal?
ive seen a whole lot worse.ist order of business is to get it all apart and clean everything and start measuring parts for wear ;)

• KZQ
  • Administrator
  • Walking Behind the Corn May Not Be All That!
More
13 Jun 2008 20:12 - 13 Jun 2008 20:13 #219910 by KZQ
Hey DudeLee,

Cross posting is agin the ruels, but you deserve credit as that's the most elegant cross post I've ever seen.

Good on Ya!

KZCSI

www.KZ1300.com
Riders:
1968 BSA 441 Shooting Star, 1970 BSA 650 Lightning, 1974 W3, 1976 KZ900, 1979 KZ750 Twin, 1979 KZ750 Twin Trike, 1981 KZ1300, 1982 KZ1100 Spectre, 2000 Valkyrie, 2009 Yamaha Roadliner S. 1983 GL 1100
Projects:
1985 ZN1300
Last edit: 13 Jun 2008 20:13 by KZQ.

More
13 Jun 2008 21:31 #219919 by steell

The engine is out of a KZP w/ 39k miles on it,

The key word is KZP, as in "Police Bike", and I would expect to see that in a cop bike.

Not good, but not terrible either.

KD9JUR

More
13 Jun 2008 23:12 #219926 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic Top-end apart. Severe carbon build-up normal?
LeeLewis7 wrote:

I'd appreciate hearing what you guys think of the pictures of the cylinders and head I just posted on my project thread (Link in my sig below).

Is this amount of carbon build up normal?

I've seen a lot worse.... when I pulled the head off my 750. That piston with the extra crud on top might be hardened oil leaking down from a valve guide (that's what it was on mine).

BTW: if you are not going to pull the cylinder, it's really tempting to try to scrape the crud off the top of the pistons with them at TDC.... and the FSM specifically warns NOT to do it because hard carbon will get down the sides and scuff the cylinder walls.

Of course.....if somebody was to tightly pack tissue around the edge of the piston gap, scrape carefully and vacuum the crud OFF the top...

LeeLewis7 wrote:

The engine is out of a KZP w/ 39k miles on it, and it was stored for 15 years before being resurrected a couple years ago. Less than a 1000 miles on it since then and before engine tear down. I don't have the exact figures at hand, but the compression numbers varied widely with and without oil.
Any and all input appreciated!

That generally means the rings are hosed.

1979 KZ-750 Twin

More
14 Jun 2008 09:11 #219971 by LeeLewis7
Replied by LeeLewis7 on topic Top-end apart. Severe carbon build-up normal?
Okay, could be better, could be worse. That's good news. Some carbon was expected, but I wasn't prepared for this. I'd run several tanks of gas w/ Seafoam, but I guess even that couldn't overcome 39k hard miles.

I've already psyched myself up to take the cylinder block off, so cleaning the pistons properly once apart won't be a problem. Seems like I read somewhere that acetone is good to cut carbon buildup.

Chattanooga, TN
1984 KZ1000 P3 (Blue Shift)
kzrider.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&...8353&catid=11#218353

More
14 Jun 2008 13:46 #219995 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic Top-end apart. Severe carbon build-up normal?
LeeLewis7 wrote:

Okay, could be better, could be worse. That's good news. Some carbon was expected, but I wasn't prepared for this. I'd run several tanks of gas w/ Seafoam, but I guess even that couldn't overcome 39k hard miles.

I've already psyched myself up to take the cylinder block off, so cleaning the pistons properly once apart won't be a problem. Seems like I read somewhere that acetone is good to cut carbon buildup.

It's good for loose carbon, greasy dirt or general crud. But, the flame-broiled burned on stuff won't budge. I have probably cleaned pistol barrels ten thousand times muttering about how I wish there was a cleaner that would actually dissolve hard burned on carbon (without dissolving the metal it's on).

I have heard many claim it, tried them all, and found none that actually worked. The closest I found is the super hot berryman's dip tank cleaner, but you have to leave them in for a few weeks. It softens it but you still have to scrub.

A scotchbrite pad and elbow grease will shine up the pistons.

BTW: you won't believe how much hardened crud is in the piston grooves.

1979 KZ-750 Twin

More
14 Jun 2008 20:48 #220087 by PLUMMEN
Replied by PLUMMEN on topic Top-end apart. Severe carbon build-up normal?
use a broken ring to clean the ring grooves.wrap the skirts and bottems of pistons with several layers of duct tape then just glas bead the tops if you have access to a cabinet ;)

Still recovering,some days are better than others.