KZ650C Where to Start?

More
13 Jun 2008 17:43 #219883 by tford06
KZ650C Where to Start? was created by tford06
So I recently acquired a 1977 KZ650C for free from a guy on Craigslist. It doesnt run and looks like it needs pretty much everything electrical rewired. I have a daigram and this is the first thing I'm going to do.

After that I was wondering where I should start in getting this thing running, it ha sat for quite a long time. I planned on putting in new plugs, putting a fuel filter on, cleaning the gas tank, doing an oil change and see if I could get it running and hopefully tuned enough to get an idea if anything else needs work.

Any suggestions on what I should do?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• The Gringo
  • User
  • ¡Usted no necesita otra motocicleta!
More
13 Jun 2008 18:10 #219890 by The Gringo
Replied by The Gringo on topic KZ650C Where to Start?
First of all welcome to the forum. There are a lot of us here that own KZ650's (Bad Kaw being the exception). You will find them to be great all around bikes.

I re-hab these old relics constantly and I've pretty much developed a standard routine. I normally start with an oil and filter change, then do a compression test, then test the coil voltage, since this is normally low in a bike this age I typically do the Wired George coil repowering mod. Put in a fresh set of plugs and see that I have spark. I have a test tank for gas that I got from a lawnmower attached to a coat hanger with a few zip ties, it has a long fuel hose with a shutoff valve also from a lawn mower. I normally will add some seafoam to the gas and fill the carbs up let them sit with this mix for a day or two then drain all the bowls and see what comes out. Usually you are looking at pulling the carbs off and having to go through them but every now and then you get lucky and you won't have to. I either use a jump battery and cables or rob a battery from one of my other bikes to see where I am with all the electrics.

After doing all this I cross my fingers and see if I can get it to run. I generally don't bother cleaning the tank out till last after I have it running well on the test tank. You already mentioned an inline fuel filter which is always a good thing.

Once it runs well start looking at chassis stuff, brakes, tires, fork seals, chain and sprockets, steering head bearings etc.

How many miles are on your bike and where are you located?
There may be someone here close willing to lend a hand.

BTW nice score, free bikes are always a good thing.

Andy
Akron, Ohio
80 Z-1 Classic-Sold
84 GPZ1100
79 KZ 1000 LTD
78 KZ 1000 A2
77 KZ 1000 LTD-Sold
76 KZ 900 The definition of a barn find
76 KZ 900-Sold gone to Denmark
KZ 750 times 3, KZ 650 times 8 Sold 1 down to 7
KZ 550 times 2 80 440LTD-Sold
81 CSR 305-Sold 81 Yamaha XS650 Special

More
13 Jun 2008 18:19 #219892 by rstnick
Replied by rstnick on topic KZ650C Where to Start?
There you go. Great advice from a renownd KZ restorer. B)

Welcome to KZR.

Give us some pix of your ride when you can.
We love pix.

Rob
CANADA

Need a key for your Kawasaki? PM me

1978 KZ650 C2, 130K kms, Delkevic ex, EI, CVK32, PMC easy clutch, ATK fork brace, steering damper, braced swingarm, 18" Z1R front wheel.
2000 ZRX1100
2011 Ninja 250R
2005 z750s

More
13 Jun 2008 21:47 #219920 by steell
Replied by steell on topic KZ650C Where to Start?
The Gringo wrote:

First of all welcome to the forum. There are a lot of us here that own KZ650's (Bad Kaw being the exception).

You're mean!! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

As far as the rest of the post goes, I agree 100%, and I do it the exact same way.

Compression is the most important thing, if it's low and it jumps up a bunch with a little oil in the cylinders, then it becomes at least a parts motor, and depending on the condition of the rest of the bike, maybe a parts bike. Rings alone are a minimum $250 expense, if it needs bored then you're talking $700-$800.

Unless you're like me and spend three years scanning eBay daily for super deals on NOS and used parts. If I could, I'd probably change my member name to "Cheapskate" :D

KD9JUR

More
15 Jun 2008 18:01 #220220 by agawam
Replied by agawam on topic KZ650C Where to Start?
Got parts if you run into needing something,