first bike ever, 77 kz650

More
13 Jun 2008 09:42 #219801 by southside76
first bike ever, 77 kz650 was created by southside76
been wanting a bike since i was a little kid, now that im a 31 year old kid i finally got around to getting one.

bike does not run, so i need some tips on what i need to do in order to get ready to crank it up.

i used to be a mechanic (transmissions, front/rear differentials, transfer cases) but ive never worked on a motorcycle.

bike seems to be complete (missing any kind of air filter), and so far off the top of my head these are the things i think i need to do before i bother buying a new battery and trying to crank it.

dumping the gas tank and maybe sloshing around a little fresh gas in it , clean it out a bit maybe? new plugs, fresh oil, and i dont know jack about carbs but im sure they need some work, should i leave them alone and see if it will crank the way they are or should i pop them off and try to clean them a little without taking them apart?

sorry for all the dumb questions, any help is greatly appreciated, thanks in advance.

Houston, Texas
1977 kz650

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Jun 2008 10:18 #219812 by JohNLA
Replied by JohNLA on topic first bike ever, 77 kz650
Sea Foam, has been recommended many times around here for a quick cleaning of internals without removing anything. Might be worth a try, before you tear into it.

s49.photobucket.com/albums/f255/JohNLA_photo/1983%20GPZ%20550/
83 GPZ 550 Stock with 3600 miles_83s.
83 GPZ 550 4-1,pods,Mikuni 36,000 + miles

More
13 Jun 2008 10:29 #219813 by anarki650
Replied by anarki650 on topic first bike ever, 77 kz650
Seafoam is a great dump in cleaner. Sometimes though there's no substitute for tearing the carbs down for a cleaning and rebuild. Last time I tried skipping that step I ended up with napalm shooting from my #3 carb...but that's another story.

Great bike you picked up (of course I'm rather partial to the 77...), once you get her running you'll find out she's damn near bulletproof.

I belong to another forum that's 650 specific, forums.kz650.info/ , a great resource for any 650 owner. Not that you won't find tons of knowledge over here though either. Welcome aboard!!!

09 Kawasaki ER6n
77 kz650b1 cafe rebirth project
"Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube, that's why God made fast motorcycles..."
Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
Omaha NE

More
13 Jun 2008 10:44 - 13 Jun 2008 10:46 #219815 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic first bike ever, 77 kz650
southside76 wrote:

bike does not run, so i need some tips on what i need to do in order to get ready to crank it up.

Sort of depends on how long it's been sitting.

Flushing the fuel system would be mandatory. Oil and filter would be a good move.

1979 KZ-750 Twin
Last edit: 13 Jun 2008 10:46 by bountyhunter.

• Becker
  • User
  • The Doctor Will Rise Again
More
13 Jun 2008 10:45 #219816 by Becker
Replied by Becker on topic first bike ever, 77 kz650
How long has the bike been setting?? If it was a long time and that tank is pretty rusty you might want to put nuts in it and shake it around to clean the rust out but then you also would want to line it with Kreem or a similar product afterward. Only other thing I can think of would be to take a business card and run it between the points a few times to make sure there isn't any oil or soot in between them. Good luck with the bike. I think your really going to like the 650 its a great motorcycle.

78 KZ750B3
79 KZ400 LTD
78 KZ650C2
79 KZ650C3
78 KZ650B2A
80 KZ650F1
80 KZ650E1
81 CB750K Super Sport

More
13 Jun 2008 11:03 #219818 by southside76
Replied by southside76 on topic first bike ever, 77 kz650
thanks for the advice. not sure how long its been sitting, but there is some light rust in the tank (the gas i poured out looked very clean), i have thought about getting it lined. need to look into it.

Houston, Texas
1977 kz650

More
13 Jun 2008 12:02 #219827 by BSKZ650
Replied by BSKZ650 on topic first bike ever, 77 kz650
my two cents,,,,
if the gas smelled really bad then I would at the least pull the bowls off the carbs and clean them.
A new battery and fresh oil,and plugs try to fire it up, best case is it will run worse it wont you havent lost anything.
if it does start you will be able to see what needs the most work and make a list of all things needed.
If it dosent then pulling the carbs and a through cleaning, followed by new points, if it still has them,check the valves and voltage to the coils. make sure you have fire to the plugs, also run a compression check, all this is good for a base line

77 kz650, owned for over 25 years
77 ltd1000, current rider
76 kz900, just waiting
73 z1,, gonna restore this one
piglet, leggero harley davidson
SR, Ride captian, S.E.Texas Patriot Guard Riders.. AKA KawaBob

• Becker
  • User
  • The Doctor Will Rise Again
More
13 Jun 2008 12:13 #219830 by Becker
Replied by Becker on topic first bike ever, 77 kz650

f the gas smelled really bad then I would at the least pull the bowls off the carbs and clean them.
A new battery and fresh oil,and plugs try to fire it up, best case is it will run worse it wont you havent lost anything.
if it does start you will be able to see what needs the most work and make a list of all things needed.
If it dosent then pulling the carbs and a through cleaning, followed by new points, if it still has them,check the valves and voltage to the coils. make sure you have fire to the plugs, also run a compression check, all this is good for a base line

Oh ya, definitely new spark plugs. If there is just a little rust in there then maybe just leave it alone for now and you can always tackle that job after you've got it running.

78 KZ750B3
79 KZ400 LTD
78 KZ650C2
79 KZ650C3
78 KZ650B2A
80 KZ650F1
80 KZ650E1
81 CB750K Super Sport

More
13 Jun 2008 12:16 #219831 by anarki650
Replied by anarki650 on topic first bike ever, 77 kz650
If the tank has any rust in it at all make sure you put an inline fuel filter on before running any fuel into the carbs. Cheap way to keep crap outta the carbs and the bike happy.

09 Kawasaki ER6n
77 kz650b1 cafe rebirth project
"Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube, that's why God made fast motorcycles..."
Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
Omaha NE

More
13 Jun 2008 14:24 - 13 Jun 2008 14:27 #219851 by agawam
Replied by agawam on topic first bike ever, 77 kz650
fresh fuel add some fuel injection cleaner,,,check points, air filters, spark plugs, change oil, sea foam or marvel mystery oil few squirts in cylinders, check eletrical connections, check carbs open throttle and look, turn bike over without plugs in, oil up cables, check drive chain, check tires(air press and wear) check brakes and fluid, lights, remember its an old bike expect something, congratulations good luck and have fun.....my first bike was an S2 350 three cylinder two stroke kawasaki
Last edit: 13 Jun 2008 14:27 by agawam.

More
14 Jun 2008 15:45 #220014 by Marshall
Replied by Marshall on topic first bike ever, 77 kz650
My first bike ever was a '78 KZ650, and I loved it to death. Take good care of it - I had to sell mine when I moved a year ago, but I wish I still had it.

More
14 Jun 2008 16:04 #220018 by violentvintagecycles
Replied by violentvintagecycles on topic first bike ever, 77 kz650
Southside76, you HAVE to get a new battery. Your doing good with cleaning the tank, but while your doing that take the petcock apart, clean the screens etc and make sure it flows.
If you dont want to take the carbs apart right away, at the bottom of each carb is a drain screw. Crack each one open and see if any gas comes out of it. If NO gas comes out of ANY carb you might be lucky and the previous owner drained the carbs before letting it sit. If gas comes out of any but not all your going to have to take the carbs off. If gas comes out of ALL of them, you might be able to get it started. Keep an eye on how that gas looks too, if its brown, carbs are gonna have to come off for cleaning anyway. If each carb has some gas coming out, close the drains, open the petcock and start cranking.
By the way, you said no air filter at all? Does it have an airbox or has it been removed. Im thinking if you do get it to start its only going to run while its choked.