KZ 1000 clutch problems

More
12 Jun 2008 12:04 #219647 by Jack
KZ 1000 clutch problems was created by Jack
Have not worked on a KZ with a stock clutch for while. The instructions in my manual state to turn the adjuster screw until it tightens then back it off 1/2 turn and lock the jamb nut.

How tight is tight? Slight resistance to turning the screw in any further or tight tight, then out a half turn? It's been at least 15 years since I've worked on a stock clutch and memory is the first to go. Can't put a slider in it for the street lol,so I'm going have make this one work. It's slipping after I put it back together after welding the ball to the pushrod, breaking the worm gear and the outer cover...

79 KZ 1075 MKll
79 KZ 1500 MKll dragbike
Gone but not forgotten:
3 X 73 Z1's
1 X 74 Z1A
1 X 75 Z1B

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Jun 2008 15:14 #219671 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic KZ 1000 clutch problems
Jack wrote:

...turn the adjuster screw until it tightens then back it off 1/2 turn and lock the jamb nut....

The screw just turns in its threads with no other resistence whatever until the end of it meets and contacts the end of the pushrod, which contact should be easily felt. And it is not intended that the screw press hard enough against the pushrod to move the pushrod (which would begin to disengage the clutch plates).

So just light tight -- not tight tight.

Good Luck! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
12 Jun 2008 21:53 #219722 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic KZ 1000 clutch problems
In it's resting position (clutch lever NOT being pulled) the screw should apply NO pressure to the end of the rod. As he said, the transition from just turning to where it hits the end of the rod should be pretty obvious. back it off just slightly from that point and it's perfect.

1979 KZ-750 Twin