valve cover gasket

More
10 Jun 2008 19:12 #219244 by rocker4488
valve cover gasket was created by rocker4488
I searched but i couldnt find any real info, ims ure i could if is pent longer, but by the time thats done i could just as easily open the engine up and see for myself. im about to crack open the valve cover to replace the gasket cause im leaking oil. Are there any other seals/parts that i need to replace, other than just the standard gasket? my friend has the repair manual but its miraculously disappeared for the last month, so im on my own, any pointers, or maybe a walk through? Anything else i should check/adjust while im in there?

oh, its a 1979 KZ1000 E-1 (Shafty)

thanks in advance for the help,
Dan

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Jun 2008 21:19 - 10 Jun 2008 21:20 #219260 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic valve cover gasket
The rubber end plugs sometimes get hard with age and leak.

You would want to check valve clearances while the cover is off.

1979 KZ-750 Twin
Last edit: 10 Jun 2008 21:20 by bountyhunter.

More
11 Jun 2008 00:01 #219288 by donthekawguy
Replied by donthekawguy on topic valve cover gasket
You might want to make sure the tach seal is still good. Also adjust the valves while your in there.

Rathdrum Idaho
1971 Kawasaki g3ss
1972 Yamaha R5 350
1965 Suzuki Hillbilly
1964 Yamaha 125

More
14 Jun 2008 16:12 #220020 by Marshall
Replied by Marshall on topic valve cover gasket
After tiring of buying and waiting for new pre-cut gaskets, I tried making my own gasket the other day for my 550's valve cover. It probably took me an hour total, but it only cost a couple bucks from the auto parts store for a sheet of gasket material, I didn't have to wait for anything, and it's worked perfectly - no leaks. I put a thin fim of RTV on both sides of the gasket before I installed it to make sure it sealed well. That might not have been necessary, but I figure it's less of a PITA to scrape silicone off the mating surfaces next time I have the cover off than to scrape the gasket material itself off, which is pretty time consuming. Just a thought. I didn't have to deal with a tach cable on mine.