kz1100 camchain rattle! Can I cheat ???????

• highspeedjelly
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
07 Jun 2008 19:05 #218654 by highspeedjelly
kz1100 camchain rattle! Can I cheat ??????? was created by highspeedjelly
My bike has only done 35000 miles and run perfectly apart from a mild cam chain rattle.I replaced all the components in the cam chain tensioner but the old ones showed little wear and no improvement was had.I also noticed the manual said the small blade should protrude 7.5mm and it is flush,so the chain is slacker than it should be.

My next idea is to fit a manual APE tensioner and just tweak the rattle out as it has more adjustment???????Has anyone done this?

I also read this in another thread that tensioner blocks wear rather than the chain.Can the blocks be replaced without stripping the top end??

If I do have to replace the chain can you get a soft link Hyvo cam chain as it looks pretty heavy duty?

My mechanical ability stops at removing cams so it is a work shop job for cam chain or block replacment:(

I fine it hard to believe this cam chain has worn already as my Gsx1100 has done 115000 miles on it's original.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Jun 2008 21:19 #218673 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic kz1100 camchain rattle! Can I cheat ???????
If not already done, a good carb synch and pilot screw adjustments (with stock components) often noticeably quietens camchain noise at idle rpm.

Good Luck! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
08 Jun 2008 16:52 #218785 by APE Jay
Replied by APE Jay on topic kz1100 camchain rattle! Can I cheat ???????
highspeedjelly wrote:

My next idea is to fit a manual APE tensioner and just tweak the rattle out as it has more adjustment???????Has anyone done this?

You sound like a pretty sharp cookie to me:laugh: :laugh:

More
10 Jun 2008 13:12 - 10 Jun 2008 13:15 #219168 by Tyler
I will pipe in a word of caution to you. I had a stuborn rattle in my cam chain that wouldn't go a way, and I was quick to blame the chain itself, when infact I had a problem with a chain guide. Had I not fixed that I would have had a terrible mess. I only had 30k on the motor, or so I was told. So as long as you are shure everything is good, then your chain should be replaced if you can't get it tight. You should also check for play between the chain and the cam sprokets.

If I knew what I was doing all the time life wouldn't be any fun.

'80 KZ650 E 700cc, dyna ignition and coils, frame up restoration, daily driver
'81 KZ1300 A3 full restoration, custom big bore pistons, 1400cc 6 cylinder super bike
"77 KZ650 B1 - Barn Find, work in progeress
"74 Yamaha DT 400 Enduro
Last edit: 10 Jun 2008 13:15 by Tyler.

More
11 Jun 2008 00:12 #219291 by donthekawguy
Replied by donthekawguy on topic kz1100 camchain rattle! Can I cheat ???????
I had a bad sprocket and found the front guide in my oil pan when I took my 78 apart last year. I was racing it and think I got lucky. :laugh: Just get an open exhaust and you won't hear any noise at all. :laugh:

Rathdrum Idaho
1971 Kawasaki g3ss
1972 Yamaha R5 350
1965 Suzuki Hillbilly
1964 Yamaha 125

• highspeedjelly
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
11 Jun 2008 01:29 - 11 Jun 2008 01:31 #219295 by highspeedjelly
Replied by highspeedjelly on topic kz1100 camchain rattle! Can I cheat ???????
thanks for advice.I will only have a minor dabble with the APE tensioner and then bite the bullet and dig deeper if that is unsuccessful.The idea of stripping the top end of this motor to replace the cam guides is painfull.Not only am I lazy the motor has perfect compression and no leaks and I am scared of cam timing so would take it to my trusty mechanic to put back together.I can always trust him to charge me an arm and a leg by guilting me into replacing everything because it is already apart! ;)
Last edit: 11 Jun 2008 01:31 by highspeedjelly.