Compression Testing

• DoubleDub
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
04 Jun 2008 12:15 #217877 by DoubleDub
Compression Testing was created by DoubleDub
Can someone explain the reason why having the throttle opened up is necessary for a good compression test? Is it because the intake air flow is too low if the carbs aren't wide open? I'm just trying to understand.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Jun 2008 14:15 - 04 Jun 2008 14:16 #217896 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Compression Testing
DoubleDub wrote:

Can someone explain the reason why having the throttle opened up is necessary for a good compression test? Is it because the intake air flow is too low if the carbs aren't wide open? I'm just trying to understand.

As known, the 4 strokes in a four stroke engine are:
Intake, Compression, Power, Exhaust.

Intake - piston moves down (open intake valve sucks from carb, exhaust valve closed).

Compression - piston moves up (both valves closed).

Power - piston moves down (both valves closed).

Exhaust - piston moves up (pushes spent gases through open exhaust valve, intake valve closed).

At end of exhaust stroke with piston at TDC, there's very little air then remaining inside the combustion chamber, because all of it has been pushed out through the exhaust valve.

Next comes the intake stroke which must first suck air into the combustion chamber to provide air for the next stroke to compress. The air being sucked in comes through the carb throat. A closed throttle slide (in down position) blocks the carb throat and thereby prevents air from being sucked from the carb through the intake valve and into the combustion chamber. No air being sucked in means no air available to compress.

So it would be correct to say that the reason for having the throttle opened up being necessary for a good compression test is because the intake air flow is too low if the carbs aren't wide open.

Now with any luck, this Simple Simon version will suffice without getting into valve overlap, etc. :lol:

Good Luck! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Last edit: 04 Jun 2008 14:16 by Patton.

More
04 Jun 2008 14:32 #217901 by Patton
Of course there's always an exception to the rule. ;)

One fellow boasted of his ability to perform a perfectly executed compression test with no concern about throttle position. :ohmy:

And by golly he was right. :cheer: Because he tested with the carbs removed from the engine. :lol:

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
04 Jun 2008 15:03 #217903 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic Compression Testing
When I did it both ways (throttles at idle position versus wide open) I didn't see much change. The compression pumps up over several rotations and the gauge captures the peak reading as it builds up. Even at idle position, it let in enough intake to pump up fully over three spins.

1979 KZ-750 Twin

More
04 Jun 2008 17:52 #217952 by steell
Replied by steell on topic Compression Testing
bountyhunter, that just doesn't sound right to me, but GPzInfested wants to do a compression check on his GPz750 Turbo so I'm going to try it both ways to see if it's true.

Consider the number of people that have started threads complaining about their low compression on here, and usually the first or second answering post asks "Did you have the throttle wide open when you tested?", and the person says no and retests, then posts again all happy because they found their lost compression (30-50 psi of it anyway) :)

I believe you when you say it happened that way on your bike, so now I'm going to be stuck trying to figure out what exactly could cause that the rest of the night :laugh:

KD9JUR

• KZQ
  • Administrator
  • Walking Behind the Corn May Not Be All That!
More
04 Jun 2008 20:12 #217990 by KZQ
Replied by KZQ on topic Compression Testing
I've always wondered why throttle position matters on CV carbs.

KZCSI

www.KZ1300.com
Riders:
1968 BSA 441 Shooting Star, 1970 BSA 650 Lightning, 1974 W3, 1976 KZ900, 1979 KZ750 Twin, 1979 KZ750 Twin Trike, 1981 KZ1300, 1982 KZ1100 Spectre, 2000 Valkyrie, 2009 Yamaha Roadliner S. 1983 GL 1100
Projects:
1985 ZN1300

More
04 Jun 2008 20:39 - 04 Jun 2008 20:41 #218001 by bountyhunter
steell wrote:

bountyhunter, that just doesn't sound right to me, but GPzInfested wants to do a compression check on his GPz750 Turbo so I'm going to try it both ways to see if it's true.

Consider the number of people that have started threads complaining about their low compression on here, and usually the first or second answering post asks "Did you have the throttle wide open when you tested?", and the person says no and retests, then posts again all happy because they found their lost compression (30-50 psi of it anyway) :)

I believe you when you say it happened that way on your bike, so now I'm going to be stuck trying to figure out what exactly could cause that the rest of the night :laugh:

Maybe I had the idle set up so the throttle was a bit open? Mine has the hand screw on the left side so you can jack the idle up when it's cold.

What I remember is with it at idle, it took more cranks to get all the way up to final reading. The final reading may have been 5 or 10 PSI lower (like 155 compared to 160) when the throttle was at idle compared to open. This is with new valves, pistons, rings (cylinder just bored) and new gaskets.

Holding the throttle open is definitely the right way to do it. I was just surprised it didn't have a more dramatic effect.

1979 KZ-750 Twin
Last edit: 04 Jun 2008 20:41 by bountyhunter.

More
05 Jun 2008 13:40 #218146 by BSKZ650
Replied by BSKZ650 on topic Compression Testing
I really dont get why you need to have the throttle open, and its not a 4 stroke deal either, you dont open up a car when you test it.
my guess is the test was done that way in japan, where the compression results were written into a spec book. if the test would have been done closed then that would have been the number used.
In the long run if you test them all the same and dont vary more than 10% from cyl to cyl then you shopuld be ok

77 kz650, owned for over 25 years
77 ltd1000, current rider
76 kz900, just waiting
73 z1,, gonna restore this one
piglet, leggero harley davidson
SR, Ride captian, S.E.Texas Patriot Guard Riders.. AKA KawaBob

More
05 Jun 2008 14:41 #218161 by bountyhunter
BSKZ650 wrote:

I really dont get why you need to have the throttle open, and its not a 4 stroke deal either, you dont open up a car when you test it.

But, I guess you do need to open it. I just rechecked mine with engine warm, both plugs pulled:

throttle closed: 125 psi

throttle open: 155 psi

So, it was a 30 psi difference which is pretty big. I am guessing the measurements where there was a smaller difference may have been when the valves were leaky?

Anyway, it does confirm you need the throttle open to get the max reading.

This also proves the memory is the second thing to go bad when you get old.

You don't want to know what the first thing is.

1979 KZ-750 Twin

More
05 Jun 2008 17:21 #218203 by Patton
KZCSI wrote:

I've always wondered why throttle position matters on CV carbs. KZCSI

Tnat's a really good question. And I'm still thinking on it. :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
05 Jun 2008 17:49 #218209 by bountyhunter
Patton wrote:

KZCSI wrote:

I've always wondered why throttle position matters on CV carbs. KZCSI

Tnat's a really good question. And I'm still thinking on it. :)

Maybe it's because of the reduced volume of air available at inlet when the throttle is almost closed. Remember there is valve opening overlap, so some of the volume of air compressed on the upstroke is lost out the exhaust valve which usually opens just slightly before TDC. It's possible this effect will reduce the amount of air available to compress enough to reduce the maximum compression reading if the intake is closed off enough. In other words, the reduced air volume resulting from clamping off the intake starts to make the "lost volume" from the exhaust valve opening enough to reduce the peak compression reading.

That's about all I can figure.

1979 KZ-750 Twin