New Cylinder Sleeve Installation Questions

• Scoot Jockey
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 1976 KZ 900 A-4 & 1997 FLHRPI
More
02 Jun 2008 13:43 #217453 by Scoot Jockey
New Cylinder Sleeve Installation Questions was created by Scoot Jockey
If I were to purchase new cylinder sleeves for my 1000cc block and install them myself, would the top surface of the cylinder block then need to be machined?

Also, I know the block needs to be heated in order to remove the sleeve. The last time I did that I used the kitchen oven, which made the kitchen stink like burned motor oil...:P

That was years ago when I was single and I could do such things. If I tried that now my wife would murder me! Is there any other way to heat the block up?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Jun 2008 13:54 #217458 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic New Cylinder Sleeve Installation Questions
Scoot Jockey wrote:

...any other way to heat the block up?

:unsure: ???? Cheap old worn out barbecue grill ???? :unsure:

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
02 Jun 2008 13:59 #217461 by 531blackbanshee
Replied by 531blackbanshee on topic New Cylinder Sleeve Installation Questions
just press them out cold.you will be fine.you will have to measure the lip on the old sleeve's and check the new one against that.i do a bunch of 2 stroke sleeves and they always have to be decked.if you are buying a "drop in"sleeve they may be the same already.you will need to heat it up to re-install the sleeves tho.get a good thermometer for your barbeque and take it to 450 for 45 mins and freeze the sleeves the same amount and drop em in and let em cool with a little press on them.my.02 fwiw

skiatook,oklahoma 1980 z1r,1978 kz 1000 z1r x 3,
1976 kz 900 x 3
i make what i can,and save the rest!

billybiltit.blogspot.com/

www.kzrider.com/forum/5-chassis/325862-triple-tree-custom-work

kzrider.com/forum/5-chassis/294594-frame-bracing?limitstart=0

• Scoot Jockey
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 1976 KZ 900 A-4 & 1997 FLHRPI
More
03 Jun 2008 07:31 #217605 by Scoot Jockey
Replied by Scoot Jockey on topic New Cylinder Sleeve Installation Questions
Thanks for the input! A BBQ should work great!

More
03 Jun 2008 15:23 #217709 by APE Jay
Replied by APE Jay on topic New Cylinder Sleeve Installation Questions
Don't need to freeze the sleeves. After the new ones are installed and the block has cooled, you need to press the sleeves on the top. They will drop a few thousanths. Thes it needs to be surfaced.

To heat them, we use a two burner hot plate from Rite Aid, covered with a metal tote pan. Plug it in for one hour and you are ready.

KZ1000 sleeves are loose in the block from the factory which sometimed presents a problem when honing them.

Several years ago, a customer pulls up in fron to the shop on a nice sunny day, in his pickup. jumps out, reaches in the bed and picked up his block. As he turned to come into the shop, all four liners came out and were rolling around in the street.:lol:

Jay