Dry starting engine

More
31 May 2008 11:21 #216954 by hickabur
Dry starting engine was created by hickabur
Wassup? I picked up an '80 KZ 750 LTD recently, & this bike has not been started for a year & a half or so................................. I'm in damp Seattle so I suspect the rings are at least a little seized to the cylinder walls, so to deal with that critical 1st turnover I'm thinking about spraying some WD-40 into the sparkplug holes to prevent scoring the cylinder by oxidized rings........................................

Anyone here have some thoughts on this? Thanks....................................

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
31 May 2008 11:39 #216956 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Dry starting engine
PBBlaster or Kroil would IMO be better for this purpose than WD40, because they are penetrating lubricants as opposed to WD40 which is more oriented toward water displacement.

Would spray several times daily to maintain wet coverage inside combustion chambers for a week before attempting to crank up the engine.

Sometimes bikes being stored inside a garage where a washer and dryer are being frequently used also tend to accumulate more moisture from the damp environment. Same for air compressor tanks.

Good Luck! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
31 May 2008 12:20 #216960 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic Dry starting engine
Patton wrote:

PBBlaster or Kroil would IMO be better for this purpose than WD40, because they are penetrating lubricants as opposed to WD40 which is more oriented toward water displacement.

+1 on that. WD-40 is pretty useless as a lube, it turns to varnish as it oxidizes.

Gun nuts like me use Kroil for cleaning barrels because you can put it in the bore and let it soak and it will get under most junk and loosen it so you can remove it without abrasion to the bore. It does penetrate better than just about anything out there.

1979 KZ-750 Twin

More
31 May 2008 13:06 - 31 May 2008 13:07 #216975 by Beatpoet
Replied by Beatpoet on topic Dry starting engine
I just used a bic pen attached to a funnel to 10W-40 a teaspoon of lube in the cyls on my '78 Nova before firing 'er up.

Worked like a charm, too :laugh:

I think Wal-Mart even carries engine rebuilder's oil.
Last edit: 31 May 2008 13:07 by Beatpoet.

• PFC FNG
  • User
  • I've got the sickness!!!
More
31 May 2008 21:13 #217033 by PFC FNG
Replied by PFC FNG on topic Dry starting engine
Try "Break Free CLP" Another firearms tool, very good penetrating lubricant.

I know it would not be any fun if it was easy, but does it have to be this much fun?
84 ZX750 GPZ (Waiting for paint)
Eastpoint, Mi

More
01 Jun 2008 11:57 #217145 by hickabur
Replied by hickabur on topic Dry starting engine
I ended going with the PB Blaster 'cause that's all they had at the auto parts store, thanks for the input y'all..............................................