Case splitting 101

More
30 May 2008 16:47 #216844 by another82kz
Case splitting 101 was created by another82kz
Ok over the past few months I have been dismantling my bike in hopes of actually getting to ride it sometime in the next 10 to 12 years. I split the case last month and installed all new trans internals. Well since I slacked off working on my other 30 projects and am just now getting back to this one. First off upon splitting the case it was really hard to split. Apparently the last guy to have it apart used some sort of glue or sealer that was pretty strong. Well I accidentally chipped the outside of the lower case where the gasket would ride in a few places. I am usually very careful about how I dismantle things but this thing seemed to crumble like concrete.
First- Am I screwed??
Second- I have never been a fan of JB Weld but can it be used to help repair what I have broken?
Lastly- Do I need to buy all the gaskets for the case and lower pan or can I just use a good gasket maker like 3M? (Since I have already dumped waaaay too much money into this thing)

Around a year ago my bike was having some shifting issues where it shifted itself from first to second. Upon teardown I found the screw holding the part with the pins in it on the outside of the shift drum to be comepletely off and a few of the pins in that piece were missing completely. Also a few teeth on one of the gears inside were broken off. I know from looking at the new parts this is totally wrong but what would cause this to happen so it wont happen again? As a refresher the bike is a 82 KZ100LTD with supposively 7500 original miles on it.

\"Its all just a bunch of nuts and bolts.\"

1982 KZ1000LTD
1974 Superbeetle
1999 Grand Cherokee

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 May 2008 20:18 #216881 by PLUMMEN
Replied by PLUMMEN on topic Case splitting 101
got a picture of the carnage?:blink:

Still recovering,some days are better than others.

More
31 May 2008 00:55 #216910 by FloridaBiker
Replied by FloridaBiker on topic Case splitting 101
JB weld is good stuff.

Not sure I would want to risk that much labor on a "It might work".

If you need it I have a good J case from a 82 KZ1100, which will work.

More
31 May 2008 12:41 #216967 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic Case splitting 101
another82kz wrote:

Ok over the past few months I have been dismantling my bike in hopes of actually getting to ride it sometime in the next 10 to 12 years. I split the case last month and installed all new trans internals. Well since I slacked off working on my other 30 projects and am just now getting back to this one. First off upon splitting the case it was really hard to split. Apparently the last guy to have it apart used some sort of glue or sealer that was pretty strong. Well I accidentally chipped the outside of the lower case where the gasket would ride in a few places. I am usually very careful about how I dismantle things but this thing seemed to crumble like concrete.
First- Am I screwed??

Depends on how big the chip is. That "glue" holding the case together was something like "3-bond" which is a strong sealant used to assemble parts which are never normally separated. Kawi used it on my cylinder base gasket (from the factory) and I thought it would never come off.

If the dings to the edge are not structually damaging, you can probably reassemble with a new gasket and 3-bond and seal it up tight. The dealer mechanics swear by the stuff because it never leaks.

1979 KZ-750 Twin

More
02 Jun 2008 23:07 #217550 by another82kz
Replied by another82kz on topic Case splitting 101
Well the engine is back on the bike and everything has been bolted back together. No leaks as of yet but it also hasnt been started. I have a few nifty pics of the broken parts I may post up just for grins. I am hoping to get it finished before Friday. Im sure I will have a few questions before its totally done. Thanks guys.

\"Its all just a bunch of nuts and bolts.\"

1982 KZ1000LTD
1974 Superbeetle
1999 Grand Cherokee