KZ550 Front cam chain guide--how do I remove it?

• Skyman
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 1978 KZ1000-B2 LTD 1982 KZ1000-M2 CSR
More
28 May 2008 22:16 #216531 by Skyman
I'm helping a friend to freshen up his newly acquired KZ550-C3. In removing the cylinder block, the factory manual says to first lift the front cam chain guide out of the block.

I tried and tried, but could not get it to lift out. It seemed like it was caught on something at the bottom. So I went ahead and removed the block from the engine so I could see the bottom of the guide to see what was catching.

I discovered that in addition to the "teeth" at the top of the guide that fit into the block, there were also teeth at the botom of the guide that fit into notches at the bottom of the block (see illustration below).

I cannot figure out how to get the darn thing out of the head. No matter which way I try to pull it out, the teeth on the other end catch against the block and prevent me from pulling it out. I tried twisting it, but there doesn't seem to be enough clearance to turn it 90 degrees to get it out.

Anyone here have experience with this? Any tips?

Thanks.

West Linn, OR
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 May 2008 22:33 #216533 by oldcoldankles
Replied by oldcoldankles on topic KZ550 Front cam chain guide--how do I remove it?
I couldn't locate the thread quickly in the archives, but I remember Trav had the same problem on his 1983 KZ550 and solved it:)

Peachland BC
1981 KZ1000 CSR M1
1983 KZ550 LTD M1 (Shaft)
1989 Corvette coupe

• Skyman
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
29 May 2008 09:16 #216592 by Skyman
Thanks. I searched through the archives looking at Trav's posts, and couldn't find it. I just sent him a PM. Hopefully he'll see it and respond.

Anyone else have any ideas?

Thanks.

West Linn, OR

• Skyman
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
30 May 2008 09:00 #216764 by Skyman
Well, I finally got it out. The only way it could be done, best I can tell, was to just carefully force-twist it 90* then pull it out. It didn't "feel" right, but I couldn't see any other way to do it.

When I got it out, I noticed that there is a SMALL crack in the middle. It deep crack, but it is there.

I couldn't find a replacement guide on Z1's website, but I just fired off an email to Jeff to see if he can get them. If not, I might just shoot some epoxy in the crack and hope for the best.

West Linn, OR