Valve cover leak on a '82 KZ750 E

More
28 May 2008 13:02 #216425 by Ituen
Valve cover leak on a '82 KZ750 E was created by Ituen
Is it difficult to change the valve cover gasket on an '82 KZ750 E (4 cyl)? While I have the cover off is there anything I can do to the bike to increase it's performance?

1982 KZ750 E
Kawasaki Rider

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 May 2008 13:22 #216431 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Valve cover leak on a '82 KZ750 E
Ituen wrote:

Is it difficult to change the valve cover gasket on an '82 KZ750 E (4 cyl)? While I have the cover off is there anything I can do to the bike to increase it's performance?

Would check valve clearances.

Not difficult to replace the valve cover gasket. Sometimes it takes a while to painstakenly remove all remants of the old gasket from the cover and the head without damaging either's mating surface. Would also consider replacing the half-moon plugs, and applying a light coat of silicone adhesive on the plugs during reassembly.

Imo, best to not use any sealant on either side of the new gasket. And don't use Godzilla force when tightening the valve cover screws. I like to use a criss-cross tightening pattern starting with the inside bolts, first snug, then repeat pattern to final snugness.

Good Luck! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
28 May 2008 15:38 - 28 May 2008 15:39 #216458 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic Valve cover leak on a '82 KZ750 E
Patton wrote:

And don't use Godzilla force when tightening the valve cover screws. I like to use a criss-cross tightening pattern starting with the inside bolts, first snug, then repeat pattern to final snugness.

Good Luck! :)

I agree about over cranking the bolts, and in my manual they spec the torque at about 100 inch-lbs and I recommend a lot less like maybe 60% of that.

The proper tightening pattern is in the factory service manual for the cover.

1979 KZ-750 Twin
Last edit: 28 May 2008 15:39 by bountyhunter.

More
28 May 2008 17:45 #216482 by JR
Replied by JR on topic Valve cover leak on a '82 KZ750 E
Not difficult at all to change take off the valve cover.
Take off the gastank
Remove all the bolts.
You will probably have to take off the coils.
You might have to remove the carbs.
There;s not a lot of room between the valve cover and the frame so you have to wiggle the cover around.

Like the guys above say, take your time removing old gasket, check the valve clearances and dont overtighten the bolts when you replace them.
Last time I had my cover off I replaced the bolts with stainless allen head bolts.

1980 kz750E1, Delkevic exhaust

More
28 May 2008 18:41 #216491 by tool maker
Replied by tool maker on topic Valve cover leak on a '82 KZ750 E
Be sure to remove the cam chain tensioner, as not to damage anything when you reassemble the valve cover.

Lancaster, PA

82 KZ1000 M2, stage 3 jet kit, pods, 4 into 1 Mac, Accel coils & wires.