Valve stem grinding

More
26 May 2008 00:28 #215875 by EddieBoy
Valve stem grinding was created by EddieBoy
recently got a rebuilt head off ebay for the ole kz....well thats how the ad read..."REBUILT". was happy, got it for
$125+$40S.H
and now been on the shelf since before last christmas...(lil behind).
anyway got a venolia 1075 piston and cylinder set...some copper cometics for the middle and a handful of valve shims.
was gonna set it up this weekend.....well as usual....something always sneeks up on me.
went to install the cams...no room for shims. even with a 240...no clearance. guess they forgot to grind the stems after their "Rebuild".

?
How much can i remove from the stem? 0.30 more or less?

The lip on the valve heads do look awful thin but i don't really remember how thick they should be. these thin as a dime, seems should be closer to a nickel thick.
been a while since I've done any valve work (grinding and such). thinking maybe i need new valves. doesn't look like the valves are sunk in their seats so i don't think they ground the seats very much.

any you guys grind valves in your garage?
my dad some 30 years ago had a red valve grinding machine don't know the brand but i ground many a briggs valve on the ole machine. thats about how long since i messed with valves other than the adjustments.

any thoughts would be cool.

i guess i really don't need any help so much as just to vent about not getting to put the 1075 together this weekend.....should have gone illegal net fishing with scrapper.

Ed

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 May 2008 03:46 #215889 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Valve stem grinding
...they forgot to grind the stems after their "Rebuild". How much can i remove from the stem? 0.30 more or less? The lip on the valve heads do look awful thin but i don't really remember how thick they should be. these thin as a dime, seems should be closer to a nickel thick...any thoughts would be cool....

FSM for 77-79 KZ1000 shows:
0.3 mm max permissible valve stem grind-off;
standard valve head thickness 0.85 - 1.15 mm, with service limit 0.5 mm.

Good Luck ... with the valves and the net fishing! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
26 May 2008 11:00 #215953 by APE Jay
Replied by APE Jay on topic Valve stem grinding
If it is a shim on top, you can grind the stems down to within '010" of the keepers. Just be sure the keepers don't sit below the retainer. Try a 200 shim and see if you can tell how much you have to grind.

Be sure you grind the tips in a valve grinding machine that is equipped with a tip grinder. The grind has to be perfectly square to the stem. Top cylinder head shops should have them. (we do )

More
27 May 2008 00:11 #216090 by EddieBoy
Replied by EddieBoy on topic Valve stem grinding
Thank You Gentlemen