79 KZ 650 Chain rattle

More
25 May 2008 12:51 #215712 by CptEDIV
79 KZ 650 Chain rattle was created by CptEDIV
I got a rattle coming from the middle of the top of the valve cover, it sounds like a loose cam chain to me. I still have the stock cam chain tensioner, automatic I believe. I can't find my manual, but I wanted to try to reset the tensioner to see if that affects the noise. If the tensioners working fine then I probably need a new chain and gears, right? But if the tensioners just faulty maybe just the manual tensioner from z1? Any ideas? Thanks a bunch.
-Ed

1979 KZ 650 D2 \"Midnight\" blue.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 May 2008 16:16 #215739 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic 79 KZ 650 Chain rattle
CptEDIV wrote:

I got a rattle coming from the middle of the top of the valve cover, it sounds like a loose cam chain to me. I still have the stock cam chain tensioner, automatic I believe. I can't find my manual, but I wanted to try to reset the tensioner to see if that affects the noise. If the tensioners working fine then I probably need a new chain and gears, right? But if the tensioners just faulty maybe just the manual tensioner from z1? Any ideas? Thanks a bunch.
-Ed

Camchain is more flexible with warm engine.
Kick over a few times to loosen things up.
Usually better to use "T" mark to position crank
at TDC where the camchain backside is slackest.
Then perform the routine adjustment procedure.

Carb synch often quiets camchain noise.

Good Luck! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
25 May 2008 21:25 #215837 by CptEDIV
Replied by CptEDIV on topic 79 KZ 650 Chain rattle
How do you know which carbs are on your bike? I have the stock, they are Mikunis. Are they VM 22s? Where can I find some good instructions on the adustment? I can't find find my manual anywhere... Thanks.
-Ed

1979 KZ 650 D2 \"Midnight\" blue.

More
26 May 2008 01:31 #215882 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic 79 KZ 650 Chain rattle
CptEDIV wrote:

How do you know which carbs are on your bike? I have the stock, they are Mikunis. Are they VM 22s? Where can I find some good instructions on the adustment? I can't find find my manual anywhere... Thanks.
-Ed

Could try going up the green ribbon to KZ Information and clicking on Filebase. Then click on the year and navigate to information for the various models. Check each model shown. A lot of info is available for downloading, such as tests, specs, wiring diagrams, etc.

Might even be a complete repair manual somewhere here on the KZRider site :unsure: . The search box function is also a great source for locating all sorts of information in other threads.

Btw, for perhaps better help with carb-related matters, might consider starting a new topic under the forum's Carburettor section for any specific carb topics.

Good Luck! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD