Clutch question

More
23 May 2008 11:27 #215337 by Goatman
Clutch question was created by Goatman
I am working on a 1987 KZ1000p, The clutch was slipping when I first got it running but only at high rpms. I changed the oil and fixed it. 2 days later I fired it up and the clutch was slipping bad on the low side. Bad enough that I couldnt kill the engine.

I spoke with my local shop to order a set of friction plates and he told me before I did that to change the oil to castrol 10 w 40 made for motorcycles and pull the clutch apart to make sure the old oil was completly gone.

I did this, the clutch looks really good, lots of groove left in the friction disc and the steel plate are free of burns and warpage. I sanded the steel, cleaned the oil off the friction pads by wiping with a clean rag soaked them in the new oil and reassembled in the same order they came out.

Now the clutch slips bad when cold, after 15 mins of run time it will start to work and after a few slow runs through the gears it will work perfect, no slippage and will fry the tire at will in first, pulls hard all the way to 7000 rpm in 1 2 and 3 and seems ok in 4 and 5 but havnt pushed it in those two.
I have spent a lot of time adjusting the cable and the adjustment on the side cover with no improvement.

Any ideas??

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.