GPz550 missing cam cap

More
17 May 2008 18:50 #214237 by lazypug
GPz550 missing cam cap was created by lazypug
I recently bought a 1981 gpz550 from my neighbor for $50.
It was in the middle of being worked on by another PO and one of the cam caps is missing. After reading posts on this and other boards, Ive decided to try and fit a replacement.
My question is, from what other size kz motors can cam caps be donated? There are some from a kz750 on ebay right now. Will these fit?

Thanks, Stephen

1981 GPz550
Seymour, TN

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 May 2008 12:39 #214361 by harm
Replied by harm on topic GPz550 missing cam cap
Stephen,

Welcome to KZR!

The cam caps were machined as one with the head and should never be sold separate. For that reason the caps are not necessarily interchangeable, so, in your case I would try to find a couple of caps to try and use some plastigage to check what your clearance is to the cam. You can get plastigage at auto parts stores. Off the top of my head i am not sure what the clearance should be but i would guess around .002 of an inch.

Hope this helps!

Tom
Holland, MI

1980 KZ550 ELR

2011 Concours14

2017 KX450 [/color]

More
18 May 2008 13:00 #214365 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic GPz550 missing cam cap
From an earlier thread :) ---

modprod:
If you have access to a "bunch" of heads it is possible that you can find a cap that will fit. However it is "highly unlikely" you will find one that really fits correctly. If you want it done correctly there is a fellow out east "Stan Gardner" that does this repair www.grccranks.com/

modprod:
kzrider.com/component/option,com_joomlab...w/id,110037/catid,2/
This applies to any "close tolerence" previously line bored parts. Like I said if you have a bunch of spare or junk heads you might get "lucky" but that is not "my common experience".

FloridaBiker:
Most competent automotive machine shops can take any cap, and line bore it to your head for a perfect fit.

Good Luck! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD